Service and Action

7 Outcomes of Service Initial Reflection – 2017/2018

28 Sep , 2017  

I became more aware of my own strengths and areas for growth during my previous school’s field studies trips, as we were required to reflect on our performance each day. One of the most memorable service days was my field studies trips to Telunas, Indonesia, wherein we visited a school to help them build a fence and interact with the many children that went there. I experienced challenges interacting with the students as there was a huge language barrier. Although we weren’t able to understand each other, we still had some fun. With the Global Issues Network club at my previous school, I had organized a walkathon to raise funds for buying a new Iron Giraffe for Water for South Sudan, which is used to dig up new wells. I had to discuss with several teachers, and different students to successfully plan the event. We experienced many challenges when planning, such as the unavailability of the venue, no volunteers available, etc. However, we persevered and found new ways around it. It was very great knowing how we had made a difference for a community in Sudan. We even went above our goal, in terms of money. Therefore, I feel that doing service is a great way to make a difference in the world and be more globally minded.