Unit 1 : French Reflection – Parle Vous Français

Statement of Inquiry:

The connection between the mother tongue and other languages enables people to develop skills and knowledge in language and acquire new languages.

Inquiry questions:

Factual – How can I use my knowledge of English to learn French? How can I introduce myself in French?

Many words in French are similar to English words. Like the spelling and the pronunciations of many words. In some cases, the structures in a French sentence are quite similar to English sentences.

Conceptual – How are languages linked to one another?

Languages are somehow linked to one another because many totally different languages, may come from the same place overall. A lot of languages also have some similarities too. Languages are also linked to one another because people also use different languages to communicate with people.

Debatable – Does learning a new language make my mother tongue stronger?

I think it depends, sometimes learning a new language can make people’s mother tongue stronger, and sometimes not. For example, learning French might teach English speakers more vocabularies that are translated into English from French. But like English and Chinese, it is a totally different language, learning English while Chinese is your mother tongue cannot help make your mother tongue (Chinese) better since the two languages are really different.