English 7 – Unit 2 Short Stories (Theme: Family)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Global Context – Personal and Cultural Expression
Key Concept(s) – Perspectives
Related Concept(s) – Character and Point of View
Summative Assessment(s) – Fishbowl Discussion and Create your Own Short Story

What did you enjoy about this unit (content, activities, etc.)? Explain

I enjoyed the fish bowl discussion at the end of the unit. The fish bowl discussion is a summative where everyone in the class get into small groups and each small group has it’s own short story to discuss. While the people in a small group, the rest of the class will watch to discussion and give comments to a certain person. My group’s short story is Gaston¬†by William Saroyan. The story is about a daughter meeting his divorced father. The whole story is in a tension tone because it’s awkward for a girl to speak with a “stranger”. I enjoyed the process of the discussion where every gets to share their ideas which gave me a better understanding of the story.

Which short story was your favorite? Why?

The lottery was my favorite short story. I like this story because it is suspenseful and also ironic. The author uses a anxious tone in the story. Although at the beginning of the story, it is described as a sunny day in June, which sounds pretty chill, at the end of the story everything seems happening so sudden. The author also uses the word “lottery” to make the reader believe people that are being chose in the story are having money, gift, etc. But instead, the people being chosen are getting hit by rocks to death. The author also uses foreshadow to give reader unexpected clues. Overall, I had a lot of fun reading and analyzing the story.

What did you enjoy and find challenging about the summative assessments (fishbowl discussion and/or writing your own short story)?

I really enjoy doing the fishbowl discussion and planning my short story. For the fishbowl discussion, I really enjoy discussing with my classmates which gives me a better understanding of the story (as mentioned above). I also enjoy planning my short story and writing my first draft. Originally, I planned my story to be about stage fright but instead, I made a short story about the stress of having pressure on stage. My challenges of the summative is probably making the climax of my short story. At first, my climax is really boring and people can even recognise it is the climax part of the story. Encountering that problem, I went for extra help for some ideas. At last, I came up of an idea of making the climax the part where Emily (my main character) waits for her score.

Which ATL skills did you display throughout this unit? Take a snapshot of a piece of work as your evidence and explain.

• COMMUNICATION

I used my communication skills in this unit. I communicated in both discussions and my writing. In my writing, I often use appropriate forms to communicate and be sure the audience will understand what I am saying. In my discussion, I gave and receive meaningful feedback from my peers. I also make sure I read a variety of information and sources to make sure I understand the short story I was given. By the end of the discussion, I can make interferences and draw conclusion from both my communicating skills and other. Here’s the analyze of my short story for discussion, Gaston.

• SELF MANAGEMENT

In this unit, I also used my self management skills for both summatives. Before both summatives are due, we have work periods in clas to prepare and work on the project. I always have specific goals for every work period so I can use my effectively. Every lesson, I make sure I am on-task so I can concentrate and focus on my work. If I didn’t meet my goal, I will always go back and self-reflect on what went wrong or what didn’t work well with me so I can guarantee that I will be successful next time. Here are the picture of the notes I’ve taken for my short story discussion.

What are the elements of a short story?

The elements of a short story is character, setting, plot, conflict, and theme. Character is basically analyzing a character’s personality, character traits, etc. The setting is where the story is set and when did the story happen. The plot is basically the basic plot outline (introduction, complicating incident, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion). The conflict is what the main character is fighting or against There are four types of conflict, person versus self, person versus person, person versus nature, and person versus society. The theme is what the author’s purpose of writing this story or what the author wants to communicate through the story.

What causes change in a character?

In stories, when a character encounters¬†events that will change their lives forever (usually bad events), and they want to change that event, the character will usually have change such as being more mature or understanding the reality. The event that happened may be by accident, or something intentional that’s created by someone that wants to change the main character.

Is change inevitable?

No, change is not always inevitable. There are people in this world that wants to live the same way every day and avoiding things that will make change to them. For example, there are people that doesn’t want to try new things and staying in the same routine every day, every year. If people won’t want to try new things, they will not be able to have change.