Last class we were given a challenge to design a cup with only two sheets of A4 paper. No tape. No glue. Nothing except two sheets of paper. Some people immediately started to google how to make a paper cup. I decided I would model my cup on something that was cup-like in shape. I found Niki’s pencil case. It was a cute corgi one, but more importantly, it was cylindrical in shape.
After borrowing the pencil case, I began shaping my first piece of paper around the case, figuring that since it needed to be a cup, working with a cup-shaped object couldn’t be wrong. I was proved right. After a little bit of fiddling, I managed to make a cup by shaping it around the pencil case and then folding in the flaps. This completed, I repeated this procedure with another piece of paper folded double thick. I put this in the bottom of the cup, hoping it would make the cup sturdier and help it to hold water longer. An important detail about my first prototype was that I made sure that the little mini cup and the big cup were facing different directions. Because I did this, the strong points (the sides) and the weak points (the corners, because water could leak), balanced each other out.
Having completed my first prototype, I went and filled it with water, just a small amount, filling the bottom of the cup and no more. Then, I put it on my table and began waiting for it to leak. I expected it to leak any moment, but it actually held water for quite a long time. But, when I added more water in the same prototype, it flooded the little mini cup in the bottom and my cup began to leak quite quickly.
I knew I already had a good cup, but I was still unsatisfied. As I still had plenty of time, I decided to build a second prototype. I used the same design, but this time I folded both papers double thick and placed them together, making a very small but super thick-walled cup. As soon as I put water in it though, I realised a major design fail I had overlooked. I did not make both cups separately, then stack them together. The problem of this was that the folded paper was so thick that the corners of the cup had huge holes in them that leaked water almost immediately after it was put in.
So, overall, my first prototype was better than my second one and I think I really should’ve looked at my first prototype and tried to improve it, instead of throwing away something that worked and doing something totally different. Oh well. At least I have a nice cup.
This is cup number one:
This is cup number two: