Read two of the four articles in the Maths folders and do the following:
- Summarize the main points of each
- Write at least two KQs that you arise from the readings
Why Math Works
- Mathematics is unreasonably effective at expressing physical concepts in the natural world
- Two branches of thought, Formalism and Platonism.
- Formalism: Math is an invented set of tools
- Platonism: Math is discovered by humans
- Math is able to quantify real-world phenomena to remarkable accuracy
- Sometimes math is developed without any application in mind, yet later are discovered to be applicable to real-world phenomena
- Scientists pick solutions from vast math`ematical knowledge to apply to their observations
- How does knowledge in Mathematics shape the development of knowledge in the natural sciences?
- To what extent does scientific discovery precede mathematical discovery?
Is mathematics an effective way to describe the world?
- Platonism is an inaccurate view of reality. Formalism, mathematics is a product of human imagination
- Math is an approximation of reality that has limitations that break down.
- Reasonably ineffective at representing reality
To what extent is mathematics an effective representation of reality?