Service as Action

1. How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

I became more aware of my own strengths by taking in more service throughout the years. I participated in 2 fashion shows that supported issues such as, global warming and refugees. Participating in these events made it clear for me that my strengths are in advertising the event and being part of the show. an area of improvement that I need to fix is to become more confident is trying out for new types of service.
2. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

I’m not a very talkative person when I meet new people, but with the events, I participated in. I had to improve my communication skills as that is a very important skill to have when doing service and creating service activities with other students in the school or outside. It is a skill that I want to improve on throughout the future. The government event that I volunteered at required the workers to be a good communicator so before attending the event I had to make sure that I was skilled enough to be considered for the job. So I made sure that I was confident before entering the event.
3. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

I had to communicate a lot with the fashion show coordinator in finding out rehearsal time and locations so that I could make sure my schedule was free for the event. I also asked if we could practice in my studio so that we could fit in as many rehearsals as we could before the show, which required me to communicate with my dance teachers as to when the studio was available for us to come in and practice.
4. How did you persevere in action?

I take dance 6 times a week, and there are many aspects of it that I have to persevere through. I participate in 3 dance exams per year and learning the different choreography is very difficult. But every year I see myself improve more and more which helps me persevere in trying my hardest throughout each class, which gets me results and has helped me reach levels I couldn’t imagine reaching when I started dance at age 11.
5. How did you work collaboratively with others?

During CAS week in Sri Lanka, I had to work with others in order to complete the job we were given, which was to create a fence and to paint the walls of the school. Without working collaboratively, the work that was needed to be completed. During my dance classes, I have to make sure that everyone knows what is happening before each class. That they know their work before going into the class as the teacher expects me to teach the children things that they missed out on during the class before.
6. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism, and intercultural understanding?

one of the services that I did was to help an organization take important guests around in an event, this helped me develop international-mindedness as I was communicating with international guests. Another gala dinner that I volunteered was to help support cleft-lipped children, in this event many people from Korea and German attended the event, which helped me utilize the languages that I speak at home. Using these languages helped me create relationships with people that have helped me till today in finding more events to participate in.
7. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

I am very aware of the environment and how our actions are implicating the future. So before doing service, I made sure that the implications that can happen from these actions are ethical as I want to make sure that everyone around me is grateful for the service that I do.