HKEWART ’17 – Day 5 Photo Journal

Today we did a silkscreen printing workshop with Hughie, one of the founders of a local printshop in Hong Kong. We went through the process of creating our own print screens with our designs, which we printed onto tshirts and tote bags. Here are some pictures from the day:

(putting the light reactive emulsion onto our screens)

(my finished silkscreen!)

(Hughie, who led our workshop)

(printing with the silkscreens!)

HKEWART ’17 – Day 4 Photo Journal

Today we visited a darkroom studio called The Photocrafters in Sheung Wan, where we developed our own analog black and white photographs that we took with our film cameras on Tuesday. Although tedious, the process was very interesting and hands on and demonstrates how sometimes, despite all you can control, you can’t 100% determine how the shot will turn out. Here are a couple of photos to document the day.


(Simon, the photographer we were working with, having a great time)

(the logo of the studio)

(the enlargers within the darkroom)

(a sneak peek at the final developed photos :))

HKEWART ’17 – Day 3 Photo Journal

Today was mostly spent at school doing stencil work along the LLAC staircase, and I partnered with Stephanie and Natalie to create a stencil artwork of a crying boy having his balloons being attacked by eye-bees (IB :)). The photo of the finished work is included below.

(the finished piece)

(Sorry there are only 3 pictures for this day! I didn’t get an opportunity to take more while working.)


HKEWART ’17 – Day 2 Photo Journal

The second day of the trip was spent taking photos with black and white film cameras around Central, as well as visiting an array of galleries nearby. I think my favourite parts of the day were the photography session around Man Mo Temple, the antique shops in the area (and what they had for sale!), and some of the pieces exhibited at the galleries we visited (one of them will be included in the photos below, likely created by DuChamp.) And of course, here are the photos:

(the lanterns inside of Man Mo Temple)

(trinkets on sale in the antique shops around Man Mo Temple and Cat Street)

(one of my favourite works that I saw in a gallery)

HKEWART ’17 – Day 1 Photo Journal

Our first day was spent at the Hong Kong campus of the Savannah College of Art and Design, or SCAD. Here, we participated in two separate workshops, one about product design and the other about magazine design and working with InDesign, as well as taking a tour of the campus. A couple of highlights throughout the day were definitely the collage making workshop, the tour we took around campus, and the absolutely wonderful interior decor in the cafe. The design and the art within SCAD come together beautifully and manage to encapsulate the diversity of student works while also remaining cohesive. Here are some photos I took throughout the day :

(this lovely neon sign on top of the cafe at SCAD!)

(Natalie, showing off her true talent as a model)

(a candid shot of Mrs Wong in the cafe)

(wall art on the outside of SCAD)