TOK- Sense Perception Reflection

by 130188 on August 22, 2017

The main problems with our sense perception can be generalised into one area. Your cognitive (and even in retrospect metacognitive) is not present necessarily present. In those instances, you must entirely trust your senses and thats when the become unreliable. Sometimes you seem something and you know that the associated sound is not the right one and it is all an illusion, but if one is to trust only there senses, they will just accept it.

However, with some cognitive process, one will realise that intuition plays a role in understand what ‘is’ and what ‘isn’t’. The complexity of this is to comprehend the this process as a whole, which takes a great deal of metacognitive reflection as instances of using sense perception happen in matters of milliseconds, where there is no time for one to go through that whole process. Even as I am typing this, I am associating the noise with the tapping of the keyboard. If I heard that same sound while someone was getting punched, it would perplex me as it is not what I am use to. If I do what is explained in the first paragraph, I will just start associating punching with keyboard sounds. However, the best way to make up for the degree of unreliability of the senses is to combine perception with some of the other ways of knowing, which I have listed below for personal reference.

• Memory
  • Perception
  • Intuition
  • Language
  • Emotion
  • Faith
  • Reason
  • Imagination

{ 0 comments… add one now }