Service as Action- Kids4Kids, 10/3, 24/03

by 130188 on May 10, 2017

1. How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

One of my strongest areas is communication with other people.  However, this opportunity gave me an opportunity to expand the breadth of my abilities in communication. I have always been known to be a good group leader, however this opportunity puts that to the test with younger children. A good leader can connect to any given audience.

1. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

As I began to talk about above, I have very little experience with working with children. However, this service provides an opportunity that allows me to develop those skills in a safe place. Additionally, since I am going to tutor a boy in french, communication skills with young children is definitely something that will help me.

1. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

Although that relates less to the one I was just talking about. I have taken to doing a beach cleanup with some friends every 3 months. We have a facebook group with a calendar where we plan out how things are going to go, the resources needed, etc…

1. How did you persevere in action?

Our november beach cleanup happened on a particularly rainy and windy day, which made things a lot more difficult. However, in this situation, the only way to go is just to keep working hard until you see results. This is a mindset which I believe will work in more than one area of my life.

1. How did you work collaboratively with others?

The basic answer is that the beach cleanups and kids4kids require me to communicate with my peers (and for kids4kids also the kids there). However, specific examples could be anything from organising dates to preparing class lessons.

1. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

At kids4kids, we strive to give the kids a complete overview of the english language. At this stage, most of them don’t really speak any english, which creates a language barrier between us and them. This is where the transferrable communication skills become useful. It is a true test of communication to bypass a language barrier.

1. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

Although I have a hard time considering negative ones, for positives, the beach cleanup helps the environment, and may inspire the people who see us to be more considerate of the environment themselves.

IMG_0157IMG_0140

{ 0 comments… add one now }