Through my research, I have not only gained a better understanding on my own app, but I also gained knowledge on different features of apps, such as storing data, multiple choice options, tabs, importing photos and even adding a search bar to an app. I also had the opportunity to explore multiple apps, which let me evaluate advantages and disadvantages of different types of apps, which will help me outline and create design specifications for my own app (Criteria B). Specifically for my client, who is looking to ease the task of baking, all the features I have learnt about and apps I have evaluated have provided me with more information to meet my client’s need. Specifically my 5 main takeaways:
1. Storing data within apps so that recipes/conversions can be used again in the future. This is done by using “User Defaults” and connecting that to a variable by using strings.
2. Create a pop down window so my client can choose their conversion measurements. This can simply be done by using multiple buttons and programming each of them.
3. Use a camera to scan and upload recipes to the app, for easier access. This can be done by letting the user take a photo with their phone camera, and then giving the user the option to upload photos from their library. (This may be too advanced)
4. Create tabs in an app, to maintain a more organised layout and bring less confusion to the users. This is done by using the “Tab Bar Controller”, giving access to see the different views the user sees within each tab.
5. Adding a “Search Bar” function, incase the user wants to search for a recipe they used in the past. First you declare that the search bar is “UI Search Bar”, and then link that to a function where you can declare the placeholder text etc. (This may be too advanced)
Design Brief: I will create an app that serves the purpose of easing the activity of baking, by making it more efficient. I will do this by creating an app that allows users to convert baking measurements, scale recipes and save these recipes for future uses, while implying the design CARP principals as well as my new knowledge of Xcode and computer programming. My hope for this app is to not only ease baking, but to even encourage and motivate people to take up the activity of baking with an app that provides them with an organized, efficient way to bake.