Service as Action Learner Outcomes

How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

One of my strengths would be perseverance and determination. Early Grade 10, I noticed how I wasn’t interacting with too many other people and I kept to myself. Working with others was something that I could do however I wasn’t necessarily good at it. Later on in grade 9 and 10 when working with Crossroads, I noticed how I was working with many different people from different parts of the world. Because at Crossroads, there are different sections you get assigned to for the day, you end up working with everyone at some point in time. This includes both supervisors and other volunteers. During mid late Grade 10, I noticed how I have begun to interact with other people from other social groups more often and with more ease because I had persevered with Crossroads, which had ultimately exposed me to more interactions with other people.

The How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

During Grade 9, I participated with the Reading Tree’s Friday afternoon/evening readings. This involved reading and playing games with young children who did not have the privilege of learning english at school. From past experiences, I am not particularly fond of young children because they can be rowdy and “too energetic”. However, from reading to these children every Friday, I learnt new ways to engage and interact effectively with a younger audience. During my work with Crossroads, I was more comfortable working with Macs and had never really worked with Windows and Linux or anything like that. I took on the challenge of working with hardware and software that I wasn’t familiar with and developed my knowledge and skills that helped me fix/repair these computers more efficiently.
How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

When volunteering for Crossroads, when you go is basically up to you. I had to take initiative to actually go there because Crossroads is located along the Hong Kong Gold Coast, which is quite a considerable distance to go for service. I also communicated with others on when to go, so that I could work with one or two other friends the same day.
How did you persevere in action?

As a First Aider, I have to get my CPR certificate renewed every 12 months and my First Aid renewed every 2-3 years. This can be challenging because most First Aid training places around Hong Kong have limited sessions in English and are done mostly in Chinese. I did my orignal training in Australia with St John’s Ambulance. I also had my CPR renewed during Christmas time. By doing this I am keeping my first aid up to date and in check for when I need to use it. I also bring my first aid kit almost everywhere I go. To school, school trips, hiking etc are some examples. This is challenging because I ask myself everyday when I pack my bag, “Am I going to need this today?”. There will be some days where I don’t feel like I’ll need it but I bring it anyways. I always tell myself that it’s better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it.
How did you work collaboratively with others?

As mentioned previously, when working at Crossroads, I am exposed to many other different people who work there. Because of this, I have to be able to work well with other people. Another two examples of this would be on my Grade 9 and 10 CAS trips. In Grade 9 I went to India, where we played with children from a school for kids whos parents are less fortunate. Another example would be on my Grade 10 trip where I worked with Japanese farmers to harvest mushrooms and other crops. Both of these are great examples of me working with others because I did so despite there being a language barrier. Gestures and facial expressions are really useful when working with others, especially when there is a language barrier.
How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

One time I was at the Hong Kong Central Pier taxi stand, I was walking down a flight of stairs and I noticed a group of mainland tourists crowded around a woman, who was presumably part of the same group. The woman was sitting down on the stairs and was clearly sweating quite a bit. Here eyes drifted to and from consciousness. Based off these symptoms, I would have guess heat exhaustion of some degree. Because I can actually speak chinese quite fluently, I was able to attempt to communicate with the tourists, however not responsive. The people around the woman were trying to give her things to drink, which is is okay if that person is hot but it is not okay if that person is drifting in and out of consciousness. I told them to stop and asked if they wanted me to call an ambulance to which they said no. As a First Aider, we must respect different cultures and religions, and I do have to ask for consent to help, unless the person is already unconscious, when help is implied. If the woman had gone completely under I would have called the ambulance. I notified a guard within the area and left because there was nothing more I could do.
How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?