May 11, 2018 - 110248

SERVE AS ACTION REFLECTION

How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

After my experience week in Sabah when I was in grade 8, I was able to become aware of my strength to adjust to unfamiliar environments. The trip was memorable and initially challenging as we had to sleep in a hammock in the middle of the jungle for a week, constantly harassed by bugs, and had no access to clean showers and toilets. However, I knew that this was a once in a lifetime experience, thus I was able to be resilient and withstand the unfamiliar living conditions.

How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

For experience week in grade 10, I went to Myanmar where I undertook challenges that developed new skills. In the trip, we had to teach underprivileged children for a period of a week. The challenge was that the children were not very good at English and it was a challenge to converse with them. However, I was able to effectively use body movements and facial expressions to develop my communication skills with these children.

How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

During the Experience week in Myanmar, I altered and designed my own lesson plans to teach the children. At first, lesson guidelines were given to us, however, I had to alter several parts of the plan in order to make the learning more entertaining for the children and to maintain their attention span. Furthermore, I was a general member of the Upper School Student Council in Grade 7 where I participated in meetings where we discussed and organized events such as Dress Down Day, House Events, and more.

How did you persevere in action?

After my experience teaching the group of kids in Myanmar, I really enjoyed my time and it was truly an enlightening experience which I wanted to continue to pursue in Hong Kong. Consequently, I have joined a club called RESPECT this school year. In this organization, a group of volunteers including myself tutors a group of refugee children every Saturday.

How did you work collaboratively with others?

Rugby is one of the many sports that require individuals to work collaboratively with other teammates in order to succeed. An example of my ability to work collaboratively with others can be seen through the SEASAC Rugby tournament that I have attended in grade 10. This tournament that was in Malaysia lasted for three days required the whole team to work as one. We encouraged each other when some members were tired, as well as being respectful to both the teammates and giving positive feedbacks. Due to the team and my effective collaborative skills, we managed to reach the finals together.

How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism, and intercultural understanding?

In my experience week for Grade 9, I went to New Zealand. In New Zealand, I Participated in protecting the native species of New Zealand from the non-native species such as possums, rats, etc. We went around the Wetlands of New Zealand and set up traps to bait and eliminate these animals that threaten the native species. Moreover, in my experience week in Myanmar, I taught a group of underprivileged children in a school in Bagan for a period of one week. Over the week, I was able to develop international mindedness on what the lifestyle is like for these children.

How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

While doing service, I always strive to understand the goal of my action, seeing how it relates to the bigger picture, regarding how it would help the society. Whether it is through helping to move bricks and shovel dirt in order to create a school for a group of children in Chiang Mai or tutoring a group of students in a local school in Bagan, I am contributing to the idea that everyone has the right to an education regardless of their race or families economical status.

Uncategorized