My home learning inquiry

For my research and jot notes, click here

Home Learning blog post

By Anna Parsons

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For my inquiry, I wanted to know:

1. What is plastic made of?
  2. Why doesn’t plastic biodegrade?

I did jot notes and I used two sources: this website and this website.

Do you know what plastic is actually made of? Plastic is made of natural things, such as petroleum, natural gas, oil, coal and rubber from a rubber tree. Did you know that rubber from a rubber tree is actually plastic? Most plastic isn’t biodegradable, but it’s degradable, which means it can break down. Corn plastic can biodegrade naturally. Plastics made of petrol, instead of biodegrading, can photodegrade, which requires sunlight and not bacteria. That process takes 47-90 days. Plastics that do not biodegrade get thrown into the sea and then get eaten by fish and other marine animals. The plastic just stays in the fish or marine animal after it’s eaten the plastic because it doesn’t biodegrade. I think that we should reuse and recycle the plastics that we’re finished using so we can save fish and marine animals.

3 thoughts on “My home learning inquiry

• May 17, 2018 at 4:22 pm
    Permalink

Lego also hurts when you step on it! We should have a think about whether or not there are other plastics we can stop using. The dry-cleaning shop downstairs always wants to put plastic on your clothes. Why do you think they do that?

• May 16, 2018 at 5:29 pm
    Permalink

That’s why you tell us that we should’t leave lego in the sun for too long-starts crumbling and degrades!

• May 16, 2018 at 5:25 pm
    Permalink

Reusing and recycling are important, but also not using too much plastic and of course, making sure that we dispose of all plastics responsibly and not in the sea!