Waste Not, Want Not – Design

Looking at this Ipad Pro box I have learned many different things about packaging. First off, in order to have a secure package that is carrying something fragile you need to have multiple different layers on the outside to make it thick so that it does not break the product in the inside. I also learned most boxes have a much larger volume than what is needed meaning it is much more expensive and worse for the environment. I have researched also a lot about interesting shapes and irregular shapes to use for my final package.  I have learned lots about what I need for my final product. This will all help me with my final project for many reasons. First off, this was a good practice on how to make a box. I know we will probably be practicing a lot before our final but that is most likely just planning and drawing nets. This was more hands-on and practical. Secondly, by dissecting this box it helped me to understand what is needed to make a strong box that can stand on its own. It also helped me to understand sizing and some of the measurements I will need. Geometry can help us reduce our carbon footprint by a lot. If we understand volume, surface area and more to do with geometry we can have better knowledge of the real amount of packaging we need and will not waste as much. It will help us to understand that we only need certain amounts of stuff and we will not have as much extra to through in the landfill. It can also help us reduce the amount of pollution in the air because factories that make these packages will not have to burn as much energy.

The box we Deconstructed:                                       Box I made:

ipad-pro-box

Photo on 28-2-2017 at 10.00 AM

2 thoughts on “Waste Not, Want Not – Design

• March 5, 2017 at 10:03 pm
    Permalink

1. I liked how you stated and explained many points about how looking at the websites will help you with creating your final product
    2. I also wish that you went into a little bit more detail when you spoke about the geometry aspect of packaging
    3. What if you inserted a photo of the actual dissected box of the ipad pro. (I know we forgot to take a photo^)
    Steph <3

• March 2, 2017 at 6:24 pm
    Permalink

I like how you spoke a lot about how sturdy and strong a box should be so that the product inside will not break into pieces.
    I wish that you could have explained more about how more volume in a box can effect the environment than just stating that it is bad for the environment. Try to explain why.
    What if you added more layers to your first design, would the product inside be effected? Or would nothing change because of the material used?
    Mette :))