Artificial Heart Valve – Summary and Changes Made

 

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 9.58.12 am       Cage for Ball

I intended on containing the marble within the valve by creating a cage made out of a grid of copper wire. However, I realised while assembling the valve that rigid nature of the wire would ruin the sleek and smooth feel to the design. Therefore, I decided to replace the copper wire with string. As you can see in the video, the string completed the function of trapping the ball within the valve yet it also quite aesthetically pleasing. Furthermore, it looks clean because the excess string is all covered by black tape.

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 9.57.59 am   Reinventing the Base

My design for the base was sticking two popsicle sticks into a large chunks  of glue and then rotating the valve on those two popsicle sticks. However, After receiving feedback from Mr. Metz (our technologies teacher), I realised that this design was quite attractive. I went back to the planning stage and created a plan for a new base that was made out of foam and was very attractive relative to the first design.

 

 

Adding a slide to the base

As you can see from this photo, the base I have build has a slide on it. After assembling my new base I realised that every time I poured water into the valve it was also going to fall onto the base. Although the foam I built the base with is waterproof, overtime I feel that the water may deteriorate the foam. Subsequently, I decided to build a slide that would catch all water that falls and direct it off of the base. Choosing a material that I could easily manipulate to the shape of a slide, is waterproof, is attractive and follows the colour scheme of my design was not difficult. One of the materials we were offered was a yellow plastic sleeve, which met all of the criteria above.