Service as Action: Grade 8, 9, and 10

Grade 8:

Similarly to grade 7, I participated in the Junior Student Ambassadors (JSA) as the vice president of this club. I think that this really helped me develop international-mindedness because I was interacting with peers who came from all over the world, and it was my responsibility to make them feel welcome, regardless of language barriers or cultural differences. This also challenged me because I was quite shy back then but I had to be friendly and a leader for my new classmates. I did develop some leadership skills through this, and I also made new friends and became more aware of cultural differences. Below is just a screenshot of my sending out email reminders for managing the club.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 6.27.33 pm

Grade 9:

In grade 9, I read to kids and helped to teach them english. DSCF6262

This is a photo of me reading an english book to an underprivileged kid and helping them to learn english. I definitely learned a lot through these experiences. I typically do not know how to interact around kids, but this really helped me learn what strategies work to teach and become friends with young children. While I know that I still need to work on interacting with children, I am more confident knowing how to play with them and enjoy spending time with these kids. Some of the big things I learned is to smile a lot, ask them questions about themselves and play along with any games that they want to play. Working with kids is difficult, but extremely rewarding.

Grade 10:

In grade 9, I also participated in cooking for a cause, where we work with christian action and cook a meal for refugees. However, grade 10 was when I really started actively participating. This year, I served as secretary for this club, where my role involved working with the president, vice president and other execs to plan, organise and come up with ideas. One idea that I contributed was to have a bake sale, but price everything at 15$, as this is the average price per meal that is spent on a refugee at christian action. I really enjoy doing this, not only because I love to cook, but I feel like we can see the progress as we serve the refugees ourselves. While our service doesn’t help refugees support themselves, I still think that we are helping refugees by providing them with food every other week.