Design Day Term 1

Hello everyone!

I had an amazing day today!! I love design because I get to have my creative juices flowing and I get to actually get to happy my learning. I had so many key takeaways and I thought this day was super helpful for me when it comes to actually making my prototype.

• It’s a lot more challenging than I thought

The concept of a valve is pretty simple: Something that lets liquid through one way, but not the other. I understood the concept, so I thought making it would be simple too. We were given a bag of assorted materials to use but once I got my idea, it was actually very difficult to put everything together and get it to stay that way. We were relying a lot on tape for our first prototype and I think everything was too small and close together to stick everything tougher properly.

• Planning is important

Our group drew a very, very simple pencil draft and then decided to immediately jump into the creation process. I think we should have discussed more because our lack of planning backfired a little and our prototype leaked a lot. This was mainly because we weren’t thinking about the materials and the toilet paper we used was not waterproof.

• Communication is key

Communication was very important and I think our group was very effective in communicating with each other. I was able to freely say what was on my mind and I also made sure to stay very open minded when listening to other ideas and suggestions. Because of this, we worked efficiently and were able to begin and finish quickly

Together we were able to create mindmaps and diagrams:

If I could do it all again:

If I could re-do this day, I would definitely plan more, and play around with the balloons and gloves as those seemed to be the most successful among the students. My group had originally started out making something about of cardboard and plastic but now I think more elastic and stretchy materials are better. The reason our first prototype failed so much was also because of our lack of planning and our excitement to just start building. When doing the real thing, I’ll make sure to have a very detailed and well thought out plan.

I used to think that this project would be fun and easy, but now I know there’s a lot more to do. I’m a little concerned about how I’m going to be able to decide on a good, decent idea since I’ll have so much more freedom when I’m on my own and so many more materials to choose from. Additionally, I’ll need to be more careful with planning, not only how it will look and how it will work, but also how I’m going to put it together, I had trouble today because I needed to put tape into gaps that my finger couldn’t reach. If I had thought about making it from the bottom up or making a bigger prototype, then it wouldn’t have been so difficult to put together.

Which elements worked in my first prototype? Well, I think our idea would have actually worked. We were thinking of making a downwards sloping zig zag path for the water to travel down, so that if the prototype were turned upside down, the water would then be facing upwards sloping panels, prevent them from passing through. The reason it didn’t work thought was the lack of planning and thought, we had many gaps in our slopes and it was definitely not waterproof.