Waste Management in Hong Kong

by 090174 on February 27, 2012

5A and 5B went to the S.E.N.T. landfill (S.E.N.T. stands for South East New Territories) in the Tseung Kwan O district today.  The reason of why we went is that Grade 5 is researching about different waste management strategies, and we wanted to have a deeper understanding about landfills. Our guide explained to us that the landfill has its waste buried under 1.5 meters of soil and a plastic cover that is covering it.  I never knew that there were 16 landfills in Hong Kong and its just that only 3 are used now because the other 13 are full and are restored to a golf course, a baseball field etc.  I also learned about what are domestic waste, commercial waste and construction waste.  Domestic waste is waste that you create and produce at home, commercial waste is waste that companies, shops, factories etc. produce, and that construction waste is just basically waste made out of construction.  I think that landfills are disrupting the environment because it is taking up space, but also taking up space that used to be animals’ habitats.  2 questions that I came up after visiting the landfill are these, 1. Will Hong Kong build a Japanese style incinerator when the 3 landfills used now are full? 2. How will Hong Kong reduce waste to go to the landfills by using what waste management strategy mostly?  When we went on the bus to have the tour, we saw trucks coming down to dump the waste and also people burying the waste.  I also saw a flare that gets rid of waste gas, with my classmates Alpha-Adventurer 15, Alpha-Adventurer 16, Alpha-Adventurer 8,  and Alpha-Adventurer 6. I was surpised of the flare because the guide told us that the heat coming out of it is about 800 degrees!  I wanted to go to the top of the mountain which is part of the landfill but we couldn’t go because the road was blocked.  In conclusion, I want to say that this trip should be a great resource for  the unit and about waste management because I learned a lot of facts about landfills and its future.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }