Waste Management in Hong Kong

by 090174 on February 27, 2012

5A and 5B went to the S.E.N.T. landfill (S.E.N.T. stands for South East New Territories) in the Tseung Kwan O district today.  The reason of why we went is that Grade 5 is researching about different waste management strategies, and we wanted to have a deeper understanding about landfills. Our guide explained to us that the landfill has its waste buried under 1.5 meters of soil and a plastic cover that is covering it.  I never knew that there were 16 landfills in Hong Kong and its just that only 3 are used now because the other 13 are full and are restored to a golf course, a baseball field etc.  I also learned about what are domestic waste, commercial waste and construction waste.  Domestic waste is waste that you create and produce at home, commercial waste is waste that companies, shops, factories etc. produce, and that construction waste is just basically waste made out of construction.  I think that landfills are disrupting the environment because it is taking up space, but also taking up space that used to be animals’ habitats.  2 questions that I came up after visiting the landfill are these, 1. Will Hong Kong build a Japanese style incinerator when the 3 landfills used now are full? 2. How will Hong Kong reduce waste to go to the landfills by using what waste management strategy mostly?  When we went on the bus to have the tour, we saw trucks coming down to dump the waste and also people burying the waste.  I also saw a flare that gets rid of waste gas, with my classmates Alpha-Adventurer 15, Alpha-Adventurer 16, Alpha-Adventurer 8,  and Alpha-Adventurer 6. I was surpised of the flare because the guide told us that the heat coming out of it is about 800 degrees!  I wanted to go to the top of the mountain which is part of the landfill but we couldn’t go because the road was blocked.  In conclusion, I want to say that this trip should be a great resource for  the unit and about waste management because I learned a lot of facts about landfills and its future.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Nanami March 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hey it looks like you really learned a lot about landfills! I hope you will achieve 300 comments as a class!
-Nanami

043106 March 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi AA17,
Your reflection is awesome! You added a lot of links on the reflection and you describe about what you learned in detail. I hope to see more reflections from you.
AA6

090174 March 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thank you for the comment! I will explain what S.E.N.T. means, it stands for South East New Territories which is a place in Hong Kong

Madeline March 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

AA17,
Hi! This was a great post! I really liked the way you wrote it! But, maybe you should make paragraphs.

Madeline✌☠

ian March 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

That was a great reflection…

I was really interested in the landfill…

You might want to say what S.E.N.T means? Because my whole class doesn’t know,

Ian…

Katrina March 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Dear Alpha Adventurer 17,
I liked how you included a lot of detail in this reflection. I also liked how you described this landfill with great detail. Now I really really want to go to the landfill. It was also great how you did a recount of this trip and you mixed in how you felt.
From,
Katrina

Alpha Adventurer 11 February 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Hi Alpha Adventurer 17
Thankyou for sharing you trip to the landfill to your audince. I really liked how you explained what you saw, thought, and learned in this reflection. I really liked how you also found a picture of the SENT landfill which gave us a picture of how it looks like!

090173 February 28, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi Alpha Adventurer 17

I liked how you put some questions and how you put a description about each type of waste.

100083 February 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hey Alpha Adventurer 17,

Your blog post is great!! I know your a HUGE baseball fan so it must be pretty cool that some of the landfills are baseball pitches now!!

Alpha Adventurer 18 :) :)

042690 February 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hi Alpha Adventurer 17,

I really like your blog post and I was also amazed to see where they dump the garbage in Hong Kong.I liked when you talked about the flare it was really cool seeing the heat come out.

Hope our class can achieve 300 comments

Cheers,
Alpha Adventurer 15