Waste Management In Hong Kong

by 090170 on February 27, 2012

Today me and my class went to the S.E.N.T landfill in Tseng Kwan O. S.E.N.T stands for southeast New Territories.The landfill was massive and most of it had already been restored.There were birds everywhere and there were leachate and gas treatment buildings and there were deodorizers everywhere so that the smell would not affect nearby residents.The Landfill looked every well organized and everything was working.The people who run the landfill are the EPD(environmental protection department).At the landfill they put a piece of liner over the waste so that leachate will not be released into water systems.I used to think that landfills were  just holes in the ground with covering but now I realize that there is so much more to landfills then just a hole in the ground.When we were looking at the landfill i was thinking about if the landfill filled up and then what we would do with our waste?As every year in Hong Kong the amount of waste we produce grows. Most of the waste in the landfill is domestic waste which is waste from our houses.There are 3 landfills in Hong Kong that are still being used the other 13 have been filled up and they have been turned into parks.The three landfills are called S.E.N.T,W.E.N.T and N.E.N.T ,W.E.N.T is the biggest one and S.E.N.T is the medium sized one while N.E.N.T is the smallest.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

090170 March 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks

NORMAN March 3, 2012 at 2:17 am

Riley I am so pleased that you have taken away so much insight from your visit to S.E.N.T.Congratulations to Mr MacPherson for giving you the oppurtunity to see so vividly the scale of the problem.It is set to have a huge impact on your and future generations.How about following it up by contacting some of the supermarkets,such as Walmart to see what they are doing to reduce the problem of excess packaging.

053513 March 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

Dear ALpha Adventurer 24,
I loved how you showed us a picture of the landfill and gave us your opinion about he landfills.
From, Alpha Adventurer,23

ian March 2, 2012 at 7:49 am

That was a great reflection…

I was really interested in the waste of the landfill…

But I was confused with the S.E.N.T, W.E.N.T, and N.E.N.T part…

042694 March 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hi Alpha-Adventurer 24,
I like how you wrote down what you used to think and what you think now. Also, you wrote down what you learnt in a very detailed way. Something that you could do to improve it is to write more about what we saw and did, other than that, great reflection!
Please comment on my blog!
Cheers,
Alpha-Adventurer 2

053532 March 1, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hi Alpha-Adventurer 24,
Great blog post! I liked how you put in a lot of links to help the reader understand more. Keep up the good work!
-Alpha-Adventurer 22

042680 February 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Great Job for writing this blog post, it includes a lot of detail so people from outside of our school would understand really well.
Keep it up !

Alpha Adventurer 1

100083 February 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Hey Alpha Adventurer 24,

I really like your blog post!!!!! I like how you wrote about lots of different things like facts, your thoughts, and what the landfill was like. Your writing is great and now I learned even more about the landfill ( even though I went on the trip!! )

From,

Alpha Adventurer 18

090170 February 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed the trip Riley! Now you know why I like to recycle as much as possible although it is difficult to do in HK isn’t it?