IFolio Prompt 6
Read each of these two articles and articulate 3-4 explicit and implicit claims for each of them:
- The blue Nootka lupine, a purplish-blue plant, is an invasive species that increasingly dominates coastal scenes in eastern Iceland.
- The blue Nootka lupine, a species native to North America, was introduced to Iceland in the late 1970s in the attempt to stop soil erosion.
- Some natives hold the view the blue Nootka lupine as an “alien blot” that needs to be eliminated, this was met with protest from people who admire the flower
- The lupines die an ugly death, fading to dark brown
- Beauty can be found even in things that cause harm
- Different people have different perceptions of what is beautiful (e.g. the natives vs the tourists)
- Species that are not native to a specific location are introduced to new places as a means to eliminate certain environmental issues
- In the past, migrants generally originated from Latin America, the nationality of the majority of migrants has since changed to become Asian
- It is the perception of Americans that immigrants are low-skilled workers from Latin America
- Migrants to America nowadays are more likely to be Asian and have college degrees
- The American Government wants to restrict both the number and types of people coming into the country
- Migrants are generally viewed as being lowly educated
- The level of education that is possessed by someone changes people’s perception of them
- Natives view the intelligence of migrants as a threat to their country