Service As Action- May 2018

How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

• We based the problem on our research findings and it was something that was actually necessary and we made it so that it was going to be convenient for our target group and manageable for ourselves.
  • We have also considered are ethical implications at this stage.
  • However, this solution (our service as action) does make them more reliant on outside help and develop a dependence on the service, but in a way, it does encourage students to explore and learn on their own-seek help on their own.
  • We improve the younger generation as a whole and we are planning to use the resources available in the community to help us do so.
  • We know that we have achieved something for the community when more people start to use our service+feedback from them that shows that it is effective.

How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

• From the brainstorming and selection of the topics, I had a chance to think about what I was good at and skills that I wanted to improve on while merging it with different topics that we were interested in and that we could actually manage
  • I am a good communicator, especially verbally through the video tutorials), while one of my weakness is being impatient (video editing, promoting our website and all will be a long process) and this continuous process can help me develop/train my weakness.
  • Not sure because we haven’t initiated the action yet, but based on previous experience, after a short session, I become more aware that there are many students that want help but it might necessarily be available for them.

How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

• For example, I can speak 5 languages and I believe education is crucial (combining it with the some of my strengths and values)= also shows my development of multilingualism. Most important part of our service is the bilingual aspect of it by providing the website to local school students. This is definitely an advantage for communicating and inquiring
  • Better connection with the local community, especially targeting and taking action surrounding Hong Kong’s multicultural/multilingual problem
  • Our problem is definitely a global problem that students around the world face, and  by creating a website (maybe even translating to other languages in the future) can help us build a global connection with students from around the world: becoming more open-minded and aware/accepting of different cultures

How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

It challenged me to take initiative to ask or communicate with people, especially by working together in partners instead of staying behind the scenes and allowing other people do the work. It is evident through the emails that we sent out to different teachers and each other when we need to complete certain tasks. This improved my ability to solve conflicts…

How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

We started off by brainstorming and doing some preliminary research to understand the situation of the problem in Hong Kong. A communication group was established through emails to teachers and students to help us collect data/information. We planned our service as action based on the time we have. For example, we only start creating the websites during summer, which is when we have more time to film and edit the video tutorials. This will give us time to do some research/collect any useful materials from now to summer and there will hopefully be enough content by the end of summer for the students to use it during the year. If we are successful, we will have some form of evaluation method later as well by receiving feedback from the targeted group that we can reflect on. We don’t actually know if our actions will work, but the statistics are on our side and there is an actual need for a solution to the problem.

How did you persevere in action?

• Our original idea was to tutor students face-to-face, but it was way too big of a project and that we are not constantly available for that, so we had to change our idea multiple times. After some advice, we finally settled down on this one, but again, the details of it can change any time.
  • I will ask for feedback from experts (or one of the teachers) and discuss with my partner things that I could improve on. For example, we asked Mr. Anderson multiple times and Ms. Safiya to guide us on what we could do.
  • Telling myself to keep going even if there are difficulties it is ok.

How did you work collaboratively with others?

I was working with Nicola throughout the process and we planned things/brainstormed together starting from the beginning. We used shared documents to do so and communicate in between classes as well to ensure that we are on track with the work. Additionally, we did not have specific roles/responsibility for each person and we worked to divide up the work by 50% each. This way, we can support each other in areas that we are stronger/weaker at. 

This is a presentation with my plan for Service As Action in grade 10:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RVVpZJ5DLG79X8BKuTnOt21eHL4SGKpT6V3u01ydPB8/edit?usp=sharing