Service as Action G10 Reflection

1. How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

I came to understand how I have a much stronger expertise in physical designs rather than software designs, I much prefer working with actual materials instead of the coding or machine learning behind the sorting system of the recyclebot. While the software development and coding part of the project could be what I consider as an area for growth, I would instead consider how I’m still quite unfamiliar in Adobe Illustrator beyond using a laser cutter and basic usage. Though I have started to develop my skills myself with the creation of my redbubble account and some.local.designer, my designs so far have still been quite basic and I would prefer to take my skills further.
2. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

Following design specs developed by other people was an interesting challenge I undertook, typically I would create them on my own but in this situation by having to follow requirements I didn’t create it felt more realistic and more rewarding to meet the expectations of my peers rather than myself. It’s furthered my skills in taking initiative, problem solving and communicating between team members about wether or not my ideas would be viable or not.
3. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

As this project was based on research and development, we didn’t really do any student initiated activities, we ran trials with students as tests on the recycling system with machine learning and facial id, but other than presenting the bot at the CDNIS talk in 2018 and it’s progress, we just have no reason to have student initiated activities. However, in preparation of the CDNIS talk I had to work very closely with the project leader to prepare the bot for presentation to the upper school, discussing what colour it should be, should it include wheels or just be carried on stage, how will we present the facial recognition, should we at all, etc.
4. How did you persevere in action?

The project was split into multiple phases and thus I had to persevere through different stages of the product, often repeating some stages such as reviewing the design specifications, reconsidering aesthetics and environmental material usage. Long time commitment was demanded of me for the duration of the project while my ideas were consistently being thrown around, changed, altered or thrown away altogether. Mentally it’s straining to have to come up with so many ideas and even more so when your ideas are thrown around so vigorously for the sake of the design.
5. How did you work collaboratively with others?

I contributed to the project along with other dedicated students for a long time, often communicating with the head of the project to exchange ideas and notes. I would also have to present my ideas freely and objectively to the rest of the team as the physical design of the recyclebot was crucial in holding the sorting mechanism and the entire aesthetic as no students would see the inside, just the exterior of the bin.
6. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

It provided me a lot of insight into the worlds environmental strain on the environment, both in Hong Kong and around the world. Better yet within the school, I learnt about the waste and plastic consumption that the Canadian International School of Hong Kong has on a daily basis while meeting multiple new students with varying opinions and ideas about how to support the recycling within our school.
7. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

I had to consistently monitor the usage of materials my physical designs demanded wether it was paint, wood, acrylic, how many sheets, what kind of plywood, the cost of sourcing it, how easy it is to recycle / repurpose, etc. Following just the environmental ethics of the project, was also socially how many students would use it, what makes it easiest for students to use it, will it be strong enough for every day usage, how easy will it be for janitors to empty, how expensive does each one end up costing, etc.