MYP Service as Action Reflection

Service as Action

How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

My experience week of New Zealand in grade 10 really helped me become more aware of my strength.  For example, in New Zealand, we were on a 3-day trek across Te Urewera and the first day of the trek was the hardest. on the first day, we trekked the steepest part of the path and most of the path was uphill. Through action and challenges, I found that perseverance was one of my strengths.  

How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills? 

By taking more responsibility I developed a skill of leadership and persuasion. In New Zealand, my friend and I were tasked with leading our entire CAS group on another mountain trek, this trek was rather short and was only 4-6 hours on the mountain and 2-4 more hours trekking alongside a river. As a co-leader, my friend and I had to lead and motivate our CASmates to persevere and finish the trek. 

How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

Personally, I have never organized my own event with my friends. however, I would like to organize a sports tournament in the future possibly softball or maybe baseball.

How did you persevere in action?

AN example of perseverance was through a hike in New Zealand. As the hike went on I got more tired and tired and the hiker got harder and harder. As I got more and more tired I fell behind and was near the end. however, i persevered to a checkpoint, had a little snack and because of a small break and some snack, I stayed in the front of the hike for the rest of the hike.

How did you work collaboratively with others?

On the first night of the camp, we each were split into 4 groups each group consisting of 4 people. We had bought a small pot and small portable fire pit. we each had our own jobs, I was in charge of the fire pit, another was in charge of preparing the food and the other 2 were in charge of cooking.

How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

There were many times in New Zealand where we were introduced to the locals. We went to a show and learned about the Maori tribes and its culture. While on a stop to our mountain hike we went to a Maori tribe where they taught us a form of haka and their ways of greeting one another. We stayed in a large hut which housed everyone including all the students and teachers. We were also introduced to their food and were told some different stories about their different gods.

How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

On a hike on Te Urewera, we had a lot of snacks as it was a very long trek. By keeping the trash with us after 3 days of trekking we helped the environment of such a beautiful part of New Zealand. Te Urewera is Maori land and we had to respect their land and their culture as we are foreigners and it is quite hard to have the opportunity to trek there.