During this design process, we were required to come up with a few primary sources from which we could complete our client consultation on for our product. This part of the design process is crucial as it would tell me the appropriate content that needed to be put into my board game, and what area of science I should revolve the game around.
From the client consultation I have done, I found out that Grade 8s are currently relatively new to many areas which require memorisation of definitions such as physics, chemistry and biology, which meant I was not able to consult them for prior experience as the grade 7 curriculum involves really little memorisation. Biology, physics, and chemistry are the two major upcoming units which involve definition memorisation, with biology just starting and lasting until Christmas. So instead, I decided to consult other grade 9 students and asked them about their prior experiences with definition memorisation. From the 7 people I have spoken to, all of them have stated that they have struggle with memorising terms to some degree. Then, 5 out of the 7 stated that the unit with they struggled the most with definitions was Biology, with the 2 others stating chemistry instead. With this knowledge, I know that term memorisation is still a major difficulty within the Grade 8 curriculum. I also plan to focus on biology content instead of the other 2 units as this is the one which students have struggled the most with. Though I have not come up with a specific plan for the board game yet.
I also needed to investigated board game elements which would make the game more entertaining and enjoyable to play. From research that I have done, I have found that creating competition and conflict between the players allow the board game experience to become more enjoyable. I have also found that creating a theme for the board game would further immerse the players in the game.