GRADE 10 UPDATE- Service as Action

1. How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?
2. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?
3. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?
4. How did you persevere in action?
5. How did you work collaboratively with others?
6. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

7. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

Throughout the 2018-2019 school year, I participated in community service with an organisation called Splash HK. This company teaches domestic helpers, refugee children and people under the poverty line how to swim at no cost. Every year they host a charity event called the Splash Dash Relay, where teams across Hong Kong raise a minimum of $5000HKD and then participate in a timed 30-minute swim. I participated in this event with the CDNIS Swim Team, and together we raised $14,829HKD.

By participating in this event I became more aware of my athletic (swimming) skills that I have taken for granted since I was a child because I grew up having swimming lessons and hundreds of opportunities to do more with this sport. So many people don’t get the chance to learn how to swim, and I have become a lot more aware of how valuable it is as a skill.

Participation in this charity event was optional, and as a team (without coaches involvement) we decided to have two teams of four swim in this event. The actual relay was swam with the four of us from CDNIS and two domestic helpers that learned to swim with Splash, making all of us work on our communication skills, and even some coaching skills as we taught one of the helpers swimming with us how to dive.

For CAS hours next year, I’m considering joining Splash as a weekly volunteer (two team members already did this) to help coach and teach this life skill to as many people as possible.