Natural Sciences Question:
- What health problems arise from this?
Human Sciences Question
- How are businesses affected after the eruption of the volcano?
RS: What health problems arise from the eruption?
Hypothesis: More health problems arise due to the sudden eruption of the volcano, causing unexpected injuries/health problems
- Look at hospital records to collect data
- Interview people who were affected by the volcano
- Examine and analyse autopsies, collect data
- Spreadsheet, to formulate graphs analysing trends
RS: How are businesses affected after the eruption of the volcano
Hypothesis: Businesses are negatively affected because of impact on resources as well as decrease of tourists
- First hand interviews with businesses
- Surveys asking how businesses were affected
- Examine economic data
- Spreadsheets to sort answers and formulate pie charts
Compare the reliability/certainty of the knowledge your experts will acquire:
- In NS, scientists are able to look at “non-emotional” data taking away/decreasing a human error factor, however in HS, because there was just a volcano eruption, results from people who were interviewed could be subject to subjective opinions
- NS is based on more factual evidence, while HS is based off of human behaviour leading HS to be lower validity
To improve validity, Human scientists can take a larger amount of trials to decrease uncertainty having, this allows their experiment to have a more representative population. They could also interview different industries to get a good perspective on all businesses.
In general, we can say that HS is a very subjective subject which is based on human behaviour, if scientists are taking information from a tragic incident, they must take into account human behaviour as well as human behaviour after an incident as emotions fluctuate.