After weeks of doing work with writing our composition, its now time to write our final song, which is the summative.
So to writing this composition we had to do 3 things beforehand;
1. Write the rhythm
2. Start off the melody
3. Finish the melody
These three tasks set us off and gave us something to rely on and made the job itself a little easier.
For my final composition, I chose the trumpet and the piano. I chose the trumpet because I started playing it this year and Im more familiar with it now after weeks of practising and playing. I chose the piano to be the instrument that plays my chords because after experimenting with others, I thought that the piano was a great instrument to go along side with the trumpet.
Although everything we have practised with has helped us in such a big way, doing the final one was still as challenging as I imagined it to be. We had to add 8 more bars of melody and add chords which I knew nothing about.
I started off with finishing off the melody which took a very long time because I tried to make it fit with the first 8 bars and I had lost ideas after the 12th bar. I ended up tweaking with it to make it sound better with the added 8 bars.
After finishing that, I started to add chords. I think this part of the task took me longer to write the song itself because me not knowing much about music in general, I had to figure it out, read the instructions over and over again and just play with it until I was happy with the result. This was probably the most challenging thing for me in the whole unit. The result ended with me trying to choose chords that were not too off tune with the melody itself, I felt that making this decision made it sound better because the trumpet and piano are two very different instruments and if I chose a different instrument, it would be off tune.
This is what I brought the first 5 bars to be.
The final step of writing this song was to add the markings and to be completely honest, I did not know what I was doing the first time around, but after playing around on finale, working it out, I think I did ok.
From the beforehand tasks, I had written blog posts and gotten feedback from people in different classes which helped me tremendously. If I hadn’t got feedback I might have failed this task completely. After reading it, I made several changes to the project itself.
While writing the song, I had came across many challenges that were not as easy to get through and I had made several changes. Going off track and doing something completely different that was unplanned was not only terrifying for me but also very stressful and maybe I shouldn’t have done so, but if I didn’t, I don’t think I would be as happy as the result as I am with this one. It has been 2 or 3 weeks since we started writing this composition. I can now say that Im so relieved I’m finally done. Not that I didn’t enjoy it or anything, Its just Im not the best person in music class so when it comes to assignments like this, there is a lot of pressure for me and It always feels better when its done and over with.