IB DP Retreat Reflection

From 17th to the 18th of August, the class of 2019 (which I am in) went on a school retreat dubbed “The IB Retreat” at the Gold Coast hotel. It was a memorable and unique experience as there wasn’t such a large scale trip which involved all my classmates. During those two days, we did a poverty simulator in a local charity foundation called Crossroads, had a couple of group activities and watched a movie as a whole grade. I thought the whole trip was pretty interesting and fun as there are only few opportunities where you can hang out with all my friends at the same place. And this trip luckily gave me another opportunity.

This was definitely one of my highlights during the IB retreat; to hang out with all my friends as they gave us a lot of spare time during the first day of the retreat in the hotel. One activity I did with my friends during spare time was watching a superhero comedy film. This was definitely a highlight as even after watching the movie, we kept talking and analysing of the movie and bonded over as friends. Another way we bonded over was playing video games during our spare time. This allowed us to further develop our friendship between one another over the course of this retreat.

One event that really stood out during the trip in a educational and challenging aspect was when we did the poverty simulation during our time in Crossroads on the first day. We were put into groups which were our temporary “family”. We had to make paper bags out of newspaper as our income and each “week” (which was 10 minutes), we had to pay rent, water, food and optional sanitation. During this simulation, for a brief moment, I really felt like a slum dweller. Where I had no control over my life besides making paper bags to hopefully pay enough money by the end of each week. But after each week, my family would always come short to the minimum requirement to keep us alive each week. Overtime, we needed to sell our valuables that we brought with us to the simulation. In come cases it could have been our watches, phones, even our shoes! It was challenging in a sense that it was really stressful to make enough paper bags each week. But also educational as it taught me that being poor is more then just not having money. It was also having people to look down on you, having stress and worrying about whether we would survive for another week.

With this IB retreat, it has really developed my passion with video games, which allowed me and my friends to establish the Game Development Club in CDNIS, as from the IB retreat, I was able to spend a lot of time with my friends which allowed us to share our ideas to make a club about making video games. I think this really allowed me and my friends to develop our passion of video games and to condense it into a club that we would meet once a week. If it wasn’t for the IB retreat, I think it would take us a lot longer in order to condense our thoughts and ideas, as the IB retreat gave us a lot of spare time for us to hang out together.

Overall I really enjoyed the IB retreat as I think it gave me a very memorable experience and educated me a lot about the world we live in today.