Ethics

1. How does what I have learned help me understand the relevant of the SOI? 

In this unit of business, we learned about ethics and how it relates to business. First of all, ethics is a behaviour of choice that is considered right in the general public. We have learned ethical and unethical behaviour that involves businesses, like lying to customers, that would be considered unethical, or treating waste disposal, that would be considered ethical. In this unit our SOI (Statement of Inquiry) was: Students understand that businesses interact in a global environment and are held accountable (ethics) by society for their actions. What we learned help me understand the relevant of the SOI because I know now that business can operate on a global scale, especially large companies like McDonalds, Gap, Apple and so forth operate globally, for example, Apple sources its manufactoring in China and they sell on a global scale. Gap produces their clothing in Bangladesh, China and Vietnam and also sell on a global scale and that unethical actions form businesses can be held accountable if the public finds out. For example, when Nike was exposed they used child labour in sweatshops, people were protesting and Nike was held accountable because of their action to make that decision.

2. How does what I have learned fit within the relevant global context?

Our global context of this unit is fairness and development. This relates to what I have learned because ethics can be based on fairness and that development can be achieved during a period of time that would make a business become more ethical. Fairness would be related to transparency, staff treatment, working conditions and the product quality because fairness would be the standard that people think would be reasonable enough to call it ethical. For example people would call sweatshops to be unethical because it is unfair to the workers that they have low pay and poor working conditions. Whereas people think that working in an office would be fair because workers would have decent pay to survive and not live in poverty and that working conditions are suitable. Development can also be tied with unfairness, because if the company is exposed to unethical behaviour, they would first be accountable then they would make changes from the problem so that the business public image would be more ethical which would be development

3. How does what I have learned help me answer the relevant questions? 

The context of what I learned help me answer the relevant questions which are: “1. How does one determine if an action is ethical?” and “2. To what extent do businesses behave ethically?” For question 1, I think that the general public determines if an action is ethical or not because ethics is based on a collective group that share the same beliefs of whether an action is correct or incorrect. So in this case, the collective group would be the general public and that we would determine whether it is right or wrong. For question number 2, I think that some business would sacrifice money in order to obtain an ethical image, for example food products that are all-natural, because they would be more expensive to manufacture but would sustain an ethical image which would motivate people to buy their product.

4. Real world situations that helped me explain the content further,

For our real world situation, we did a project where we produced a monologue focusing on one company or brand, in my case it was Gap to explain whether the company is ethical or not. If it was in a real world situation, I think that companies can’t be determined whether a company is ethical or not because the business may do unethical things while at the same time trying to do ethical things. Or it could be that the company may seem ethical but it is hiding some information that could ruin the image of the companies reputation which makes them unethical. But for this project, I determined that Gap is ethical because although it used child labour and sweatshops in the pass, they have attempted to resolve these issues and that they do ethical things like introducing equal pay, reducing their carbon footprint and improving work conditions.

5. An updated diagram or mind map to show how the SOI, inquiry questions and topics fit together. 

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 9.26.04 pm