First of all, I’d like to say that the assessment was very well put together and I had a great time working through the problems. I did fairly well in most of the areas especially in the first three problems about the three swimmers and the patterns in their plans. I found it fairly easy to recognise the patterns and create functions to match those patterns, and it was second nature for the most part. I analysed the data and made sure to check my answers. My answers also included appropriate mathematical vocabulary.

I made a mistake on question 10 by not answering detailed. I did not write down how I got my answer and I never knew that you could estimate rather than calculate on this question. If I paid attention to the question (which never asked how many laps each person swam) then I could’ve improved by spending more time explaining my answer rather than calculating the total number of laps each person swam. This teaches me to read the question carefully before answering. This was similar with question number 12. At first, I understood the question. But, when I thought about it again, I thought that the question was asking to match Carrie’s TOTAL number of laps in ALL of the 14 days. After the test, my friend and I talked about that specific question and I realised my error. All in all, it’s a lesson learnt for me. Hopefully I won’t make these mistakes in the next test because it is a sure way to lose marks.

I think I participated in group discussions during this unit and helped my peers when they didn’t understand something. However, I need to be more open minded when helping them because not everyone will catch on the first try. I usually participated in class and hopefully didn’t talk too much as to give others a chance to speak. I still need to keep working on limiting myself on how much I talk and if my talk is really necessary. Self-evauating out of 10, I think I would rate myself at a 7 in terms of participation and group discussion skills.

I think the last few questions on the assessment really made me think about this unit question: “How do I approach an unfamiliar problem?” For example, on question 10, there are other faster ways of solving the problem compared with adding all the numbers up. I took the most straightforward but most time-consuming way of solving it without realising that there are more efficient methods. This is key to approaching an unfamiliar problem – to think of other methods to solve the problem. On the bright side, I always checked my answers and see if they were logical. If the answers to these problems seem right, chances are that the answers are right.

As a problem solver, I usually take the most direct way of solving a problem. I check to make sure my answers are logical and I analyse problems carefully before moving on to another. Definitely enjoyed this unit and I think it was a very interesting one that most math-lovers like me would enjoy!