Being a ‘Risk Taker’

According to the International Baccalaureate’s definition, a ‘Risk Taker’ is one who “Approaches uncertainty with forethought and determination, and works independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies.”

The first piece of evidence would be my participation in the school senior production: Seven Stories. Although it might not seem like a huge risk for some, it is for me because I am new to such productions, and it was especially intimidating working with people i have never met before. However, I approached this challenge with forethought and determination, rehearsing multiple times over and over for the audition, and eventually I got in! This also means I will have to work cooperatively with a set of actors to perform this theatrical production, demonstrating all the attributes that make a risk taker. Below is an email showing my acceptance into the theatrical production, and a monologue of mine:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 10.24.27 am

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 7.32.53 am

The second piece of evidence showing my ability to take risks is another project I’ve done, which was making a transparent digital clock from scratch as a gift for a friend. This was a huge risk for me – I had never done anything like it before and it could potentially be a huge waste of both money and time if I failed. However, I used forethought and determination – preparing for the task by learning new skills such as soldering and electrical engineering. I worked independently and did not rely on the help of mentors or peers, researching by myself to create this project. In the end, because of the amount of preparation I did and all the skills I attempted to learn before hand, it paid off and I made a successful (and in my opinion a very cool looking) digital clock. This shows that I am not only a risk taker, but I take educated risks with forethought, doing something quite challenging for me, yet making the necessary preparation to overcome such a challenge.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 10.43.47 am

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.