I think that this unit was quite difficult because I have always struggled with composing in the past. However I think that I was able to compose a 24 bar song that makes sense and sounds good in all areas of the song. I think I was able to have balance between my rhthym and melody in my composition and also there are differences between the different phrases in my melody. My melody definitely has a connection between the A and B phrases and it is definitely playable for someone of my ability. I also have included a variety of performance directions, such as articulation and dynamics. I think that in my piece I have used articulation particularly effectively. I have also used chords that make sense and sound good before and after each other in my piece and I was also accurate when labeling the chords of my piece.
I think that some of the things I had trouble with in this unit were firstly starting out with my composition, and composing a song that had a good melodic balance. In music class in the past, we have not had much experience with composing, and therefore I am not very proficient at creating different melodies. I think that this is the reason I had trouble when composing the song for this unit. However I think that I did well at making sure I had met all the requirements such as certain cadences in certain bars, having an A and B section and modulating between two keys. In terms of the actual melody of the song I think that through the process of trial and error, I was successfully able to create a melody that makes sense and that I am happy with, both in the saxophone and piano parts of my composition.
While composing my final 24 bar composition I used the comments made by my peers to help me improve my composition and make it the best it can be. Some of the comments I recieved were that there were too many jumps between octaves and that this made the piece sound awkward and didn’t let it flow, and also that I should try to add more rhythmic variety. I took in these comments and made the changes to my composition in order to help it sound better. In terms of the criteria, I had all the aspects such as m having measure 4 and 12 containing an imperfect or interrupted cadence, and requiring two chords per bar in the A section.
I think that this unit overall was a great learning experience becasue I became much more proficient at a skill in music I used to be not great at. I also really enjoyed this unit and composing not only more “classical” music, but also a jazz composition. Because we learnt how to compose for two different genres of music, we were able to understand how music in general relates, and we were able to apply the composition techniques we learnt to both compositions.