Before I even start to write about the services I did this year, I would like to say to the teachers who may be reading this that I didn’t follow the questions because they were repetitive and not fun. So hopefully, I’ll have everything to prove myself in the text below. If I don’t, please leave a comment with some feedback.

For those of you who aren’t in CDNIS or an IB school, this is just one of those IB things that everyone must do to graduate the MYP and DP program. As a small introduction, each student has to do two services every year, one in school and one outside of school. (just google it)

So for my service inside the school, I chose the Family Fun Fair, I’ve decided to be in charge of part of the scouts obstacle course, which was the maze. This is the second time I’ve designed, built, and destroyed the maze. Last year was a lot of pressure because I didn’t know anything, but this year was a little more complicated because I had basically two more shifts than last year (the scouts have less people). Although I’ve helped out last year on some repairs (I knew it inside out), I’m going to have to deal with kids, and I was just imagining scenarios of how things could go wrong. An example of this would be if a kid walked on top of the maze and fell in one of the emergency exits, this would probably break their leg (I know because it happened to one of my friends).

Besides my creativity giving me stress, I had to manage people. I’m a very extroverted person in the introvert community, but handling people who simply wanted to slack off wasn’t really doing anything. A scouter would come say something and they would do some work, but efficiency got worse as time went on. They just kind of clumped together minding their own business, basically, they were being assholes. I couldn’t work in stressed environments and I didn’t feel welcome in the team anymore. So I just left the plans for those people who were “working” really hard and left. I thought I’d come back 5 in the morning to finish up the maze so that I wouldn’t have to work with or in front of people who were distracted (like in 2014).

To my surprise, I went to school and there were only final touches left that were needed to complete the maze. I went on WhatsApp (a texting app) to check in with a few friends who stayed behind, it turns out one person thought of a modular system and were able to finish it in much shorter time. We’ll call this person Dave to protect the identity of this person. I have to say I’m very impressed with everything he has done for the maze. I’m not sure if I was hard to approach or something, but I’m always open to suggestions in a team activity. It seems like the slacking off was them discussing about a better way to do things, I certainly didn’t appreciate the people who hid it from me, I thought I was very approachable since I consider all options. I’ve actually thought of this idea on my own but was afraid the quality would suffer because kids can wreck plastic bags and move desks very easily with the time they have in the maze. But if it’s stupid but it works, it’s not stupid.

Fast forwarding to the opening, kids came rushing to the obstacle course because there was candy at the end. I never really liked candy, I just went along with it as a kid so I could brag about how much I had, the truth was I never ate my candy, and just like money, if you don’t spend it, you get rich. Anyway, there were a lot of small children who were scared of the dark and also a lot of big kids who struggled in the maze because of their size. Which was why I designed the maze to have around four emergency exits for those who couldn’t handle it. The big kids were the most funny of all people, they were still after the sugar and got stuck in every corner. It was hilarious to say to them, “You can go now, but no candy at the end of the obstacle course.” I was actually laughing to death on the inside when they gave me the OMG eyes. The real rule for the maze is that anyone can skip it once they reach any exit, even if it was an emergency exit. But, my maze my rules, work for what you get. It seems to be keeping the rate of prizes pretty evenly.

The last thing I would like to mention about the maze is that it really really “fun”. The school did say it was a “fun” fair right? As most of my friends know, I really like pranking people (trolling). So since I’m basically the boss of the maze, I work my spell on my fellow scouts for them to cooperate with me on the maze’s last customers if you will. We basically start cleaning up the rest of the obstacle course when a couple of people would want to try out the maze (usually people who were incharge of booths and didn’t get a chance to see the maze). We give them to go ahead with a nice smile and I would give everyone a silent laugh. I was always laughing so no one misses it. Everyone would stop pretending to clean up and come help with the prank. We’d basically cover up all the exits and entrances and leave them in a completely black environment. It would usually take a while for them to figure out something was fishy, we would hear their discussions inside the maze and everyone outside was just trying to not laugh out loud. Someone would eventually blow our cover and they would break through the maze and try to get to me. I was just there laughing so hard my stomach hurt so much. They were usually exhausted after getting out of the maze so they usually didn’t get to me the first thing, but it was probably a good idea to get out. The highest record so far was 16 minutes, even the scouters were laughing about that one. Ooooooooo I’m so funny.

The next service I did was outside of school which was the Remembrance Service which was to commemorate the Canadians who fought for Hong Kong during the Second World War. Again, I went with the scout group for a full ceremony and placing poppies next to the graves of the Canadians. There wasn’t too much preparation for this as we do this every year. It was simply to repeat the ceremony (easier said than done). We did some footdrill practices and then it was the real thing. It was usually more exciting for some ventures who raised the flag or did a speech in french. It was good to laugh at the pronunciation a bit because there was mostly nothing to do other than stand in line, but the ceremony was very serious and we’d pretty much stayed like that for as long as the teen mind can hold. At the end, there were refreshments after the ceremony for everyone.

I currently do not have any images of these activities. But some were shown in the scouts year end ceremony and some parents may have images they took themselves. The scout group currently doesn’t have a reliable photo taking system.

Other information
FFF
I’ve started to particapate in the Family Fun Fair since grade 4 as a cub

Remembrance Service
I first started in the junior choir in grade 3 and sang for the ceremony
Then I placed poppies with the scouts from grade 7 and above
There was one year in grade 6 when I could choose between choir and scouts, me and everyone else who were in the same situation chose choir.

Questions addressed in the reflection (well…hopefully)
How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?
How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?
How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?
How did you persevere in action?
How did you work collaboratively with others?
How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?
How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?