LO6 – Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance

Students are able to identify and demonstrate their understanding of global issues, make responsible decisions, and take appropriate action in response to the issue either locally, nationally or internationally.

The student:
– recognizes the global implications of local issues
– is able to identify global issues in the local or national community
– shows awareness of issues of global importance and takes concrete and appropriate actions in response to them either locally, nationally or internationally
– gets involved in CAS projects addressing global issues in a local, national or international context
– develops awareness and responsibility towards a shared humanity.

Over the years I have gone to many CAS trips, often overseas, but I feel that the biggest involvement I’ve had with globally significant decisions happened right here in Hong Kong. As part of my CAS project I got involved with the HK2030+ programme, as part of the¬†Urban Thinkers Campus 2.0.

“Hong Kong 2030+: Towards a Planning Vision and Strategy Transcending 2030”, a comprehensive strategic study to update the territorial development strategy, is built on the foundations of Hong Kong 2030 and has revisited the planning strategy and spatial development directions beyond 2030 in the light of the dynamics and challenges ahead. It represents the Government’s vision, policy and strategy for the territorial development of Hong Kong beyond 2030. A visionary, proactive, pragmatic and action-oriented approach is adopted to ensure a focused public dialogue on the key planning issues critical to future development and a timely response to the changing circumstances in and outside of Hong Kong.

The statistics and plans I learned about all pertained to Hong Kong of course, but what surprised me most was how much politicians, planners and demographers relied on patterns that exist outside the country. I had learned about many of these patterns in geography class, never imagining that Hong Kong too was¬†progressing through demographic transition just as quickly as any other nation. For example, during the Urban Thinkers Campus, a lady gave a speech about Hong Kong’s rapidly ageing population, and lowered birth rates. She took examples from Japan and Singapore to show what other nations had done to help the elderly and develop social, political and economic establishments around them such as increased work opportunities and pensions- things that Hong Kong severely lacks. Others showed how Hong Kong was very involved in global trade, and how our business sector was likely to be a fast-growing industry in the coming years, using examples from the United States to show Hong Kong’s international financial relations.

Despite the conference being about Hong Kong, I learned a lot more about the city’s interactions with other countries than I would have known otherwise.