Composition – 16 Bar Melody

*Click on image for full view

So, I had two previous blog posts called Composition Study – Rhythm and Composition Study – Melody. Now, I am following up with a 3rd blog post. Now, I have extended the song from 8 bars to 16 bars, while still trying to make it sound like one song.

You can listen to it here: 16 Bar Melody

This was probably the most time-consuming of the three parts I’ve done so far as I apparently didn’t back up the file when I started using a new computer so I had to go back and copy my existing melody into Finale. The melody was quite simple though, I would admit, so it actually wasn’t that difficult. The next 8 bars of the melody are meant to continue the existing 8 bars and extend it into pretty much a (however short) full song.

Give me feedback!

• Do you have a combination of conjunct and disjunct motion?

Yes / No

• If there are any large intervals, have you changed direction by step?

Yes / No / NA

• Does the melody have an appropriate range?

Yes / No

• Does it start and finish on the tonic note?

Yes / No

2 comments

1. There is a combination of conjunct and disjunct motion, no large leaps, has an appropriate range. It starts and ends on the tonic note. It sounds like a children’s song, and it’s cute 🙂

2. Yes, there is a combination of conjunct and disjunct motion, no large leaps, with an appropriate range and starts and ends on the tonic note.
    The dynamics jump up and down a lot however (forte to piano in the beginning) and can be a bit clunky. Otherwise, love it! 😀