LO2 – Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills

A new challenge may be an unfamiliar experience or an extension of an existing one. The newly acquired or developed skills may be shown through experiences that the student has not previously undertaken or through increased expertise in an established area.

One challenge I undertook was participating in more debate competitions. In the debating circuit in Hong Kong, there are mainly two styles of debate: World Schools Style and British Parliamentary (BP). Prior to grade 10, I had mainly participated in World Schools Style debate competitions, but as I was curious about BP, I joined a summer day camp to learn more about it, which was 5 days of training, culminating in a 2 day debate competition. I was put in the “beginner” level as I had never done BP before. It was very different to World Schools, and I found it much more difficult. In gr 11, I joined many more BP competitions. I found joining more debate competitions in general improved my critical thinking skills and debate skills, and also my awareness in current events.

The student:
– participates in an experience that demands an appropriate personal challenge; this could be with new or familiar experiences
– is willing to become involved in unfamiliar environments and situations
– acquires new skills and abilities
– increases expertise in an established area
– shows newly acquired or developed skills or increased expertise in an established area