LO7 – Recognize and consider the ethics of choices and actions

Through my CAS experiences, I have come to understand the impact and consequences of our actions. An example of this is the recent Habitat for Humanity build trip to the Philippines. While we were on our trip to the Philippines, we had to be cautious of the ways in which we interacted with the homeowners and their community. Coming all the way, the children were very excited to meet and play games with us, but at the same time, we had to ensure that we were being respectful and act in an appropriate manner given the cultural differences. This meant ensuring that the clothing that was worn was of appropriate length, with most skin being covered up.  While this definitely made the physical work more uncomfortable and difficult, we came to understand just how important this was for their community. Being conservative was a major part of their values and beliefs, and we were happy to comply with their customs. It was this mutual respect for one another I think that made the whole experience very memorable, with the understanding that while we were all unified in our goal to help, we all carried our own differences that make us unique. This is just one example, but from all my CAS experiences overall, I have truly come to understand the impact that our actions can have on others.