LO1 – Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

Through my involvement in many CAS experiences, I have been able to understand more about myself and truly come to terms with the above Learning Outcome.

It states that students should be able to see themselves as individuals with various abilities and skills, of which some are more developed than others. I think that this learning outcome is most easily understood in the context of a team. An example of this is my roles on the basketball and volleyball teams at our school. In both cases, the team is most successful when each individual player is able to play to their own strengths. In order to achieve this, everybody must clearly understand their own strengths and weaknesses. As such, we can see how individuals can be given different positions on the team. Keeping within basketball, a taller, more physical player might be more fit as a post player while a smaller and quicker player might be a stronger candidate for a guard position. While this is a vast generalization of everybody’s skills, this simplification encapsulates some of the experiences that I have had with the abovementioned sports teams. There are many other factors that are also important like leadership, technical skill, endurance, determination… Only when each player understand their skills can succeed as a whole team be reached.

While this is just an example within sports, in all instances, understanding the level of one’s own abilities is pivotal to success in all aspects of life. It takes a very self-reflective individual to have proper insight into their own areas of potential improvement and growth. Thus, this learning outcome extends to academics, work and everyday life. I am happy that my understanding of this learning outcome has been developed further with my CAS experiences as I have now seen the positive impacts that this evaluation towards oneself can have.