History of Hong Kong : The Japanese Occupation

History of Hong Kong : The Japanese Occupation from James Chow on Vimeo.

I think that the historical impact of the Japanese Occupation was extremely significant. In this documentary, we tried to capture the essence of  life under Japanese rule and investigate into the ways in which the occupation affected society as a whole.

My responsibilities for this documentary were the roles of editor and sound.

My primary role in the team is being the editor for our documentary. As such, I am responsible for the post-production aspect of the creation of the documentary. I will have to compile the footage that we film ourselves, materials we find from our research and editing them into a logic order that will effectively express the messages we aim to convey.
I am responsible for ensuring that I have a thorough understanding of the tools required to do my job. I will need to conduct research into editing techniques and the software itself so that my skills are on par with the expectations of my role.
Each member within our team is also responsible for conducting historical research for our documentary. We have divided the research into parts so that each member could look thoroughly into a specific topic. I am responsible for researching into the lives of Hong Kong citizens under Japanese occupation. I will have to use a variety of sources to gather information that will be both accurate and relevant to our film.

As mentioned before, another one of my responsibilities was sound. I was in charge of finding appropriate music and sound effects for the documentary. I felt that this was important as sound can really help add to the emotional connection that the audience makes with the video.

I made sure the music and sound effects used were licensed for free use as I did not want to infringe on the intellectual property of others. The sound I found was used using websites that shared royalty free music.
Not too many technical tools had to be used to properly import the sound files that I want but for a few of the overlying music scores that were used throughout the documentary, the the files needed to be repeated. I wanted this transition between the repeated parts to be smooth and nearly unnoticeable. iMovie would allow me to just repeat the audio making the cut very obvious.
So once again I imported the files to Garageband and extend the audio. I made a split in between the beats of the music and merged it with another section of the same song but from an earlier time. by repeating the same part of the song, I effectively extended the music and now it matches the length of the video perfectly without being too obvious that a but was made.