December Tests Reflection

On December 15th, we had a playing test. For this test, we had to play 5 scales, a chromatic scale and a song, which was essentially a simplified version of the nutcracker. While playing the songs, I felt quite nervous, because I had troubles playing the chromatic scales at home. I decided to play concert g major chromatic scale, and when I actually played in front of the teacher I didn’t make any major mistakes, apart from maybe breathing a bit too much. I felt like I did quite well in the scales, and I didn’t make any noticeable mistakes. My timing was a bit off, but that was only because I felt a bit nervous and could only hear my heartbeat, which drowned my playing. After playing that, I had to play the song. I also had a bit of trouble in the fast part of the song, but I believe I did quite well in the end. I played the stacato bit quite well, and were played quite clearly. I think I paused a few times because my clarinet squeaked while playing the high notes. Also, at the end of the song, I ran out of breath and had to force the last few notes out, but I barely managed to squeeze the last few notes out. I kept a steady tempo, without speeding up too much and didn’t drag my notes. For dynamics, I did quite well, but I feel like I didn’t emphasise it too much, so that is why next time I want to focus more on dynamics.

On December the 17th, I had taken a theory test. No marks have been issued back yet, but I thought it was quite hard and struggled a bit. One part that was hard was the transposition. I forgot what the instruments transpose to (french horn, clarinet in a, etc.)  I asked around with a few of my friends, and I think I got one of the correct, which is good. I predict I got a 4 or a 5 out of 8 for this test because I really did struggle and made a few mistakes.


I just received my marks back for the theory test and the playing test. For the playing test, I got 7/8 for the scales and 7/8 for the song, which was quite surprising because I thought I messed it up a lot more. This caught me off guard because I thought I made quite a few mistakes, so that is why I was quite happy with that. On the other hand, for my theory test, I received a 4/8. Like my prediction earlier, I had seen this coming already, so there wasn’t a big surprise there. With that being said, I believe that I did poorly because as I have taken ABRSM grade 5 music theory, I should’ve received a much higher mark than a 4/8. I am quite dissatisfied with my performance, but I probably forgot all that was learned in preparation for the ABRSM exam. Next time, I need to study more on the conceptual side of things and make sure it is all memorised in order to get a higher mark next time.


Here are my scanned theory test results:

:Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.05.34 am Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.05.38 am Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.05.41 am Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.05.45 am

In this task, we had to copy an excerpt from “Greatest Song Ever” using Finale 2012. We had to get all the notes correct and learn how to properly use Finale. I think that this assignment is quite challenging because I had never really had any experience using the app and what I found was the hardest was adding the small details. For example, my computer would have issues applying slurs from one note to another making it pretty much impossible to do so. In the end, I think that this has given me an insight on what Finale can really do and I hope to use it more in the future.