LO5 – Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively

During my CAS project as a volunteer english teacher, a lot of my job consisted of collaboration and discussions with multiple parties in order to improve the class. For one, I had to collaborate with my partner when planning every class, with things such as how to go about teaching, whether it be verbal or written, what to teach (often debating the skill levels of the topic: my idea of telling time on the first class was too difficult, and upon reflection  my partner’s idea of teaching the students basic greetings was a better option, etc. ), or even certain logistics of where and when the class would take place. This allowed us to fine tune the class and allow the students to take in as much as possible from their limited time with us. Not only that, but as teachers, after every week we would ask the students individually what they liked and didn’t like about our classes. We received verbal feedback such as the topics being too repetitive, or that some concepts such as grammar was too difficult to understand, my partner and I made sure these points were addressed in the next week’s class. We would often scrap ideas entirely in response to that feedback, as that was what we thought was the most important aspect of this teaching: allowing the students to get as much out of it as possible.