Service Post

I helped the community by doing charity work for the elderly by giving them gifts, teaching underprivileged kids english, as well as partaking in the Fiji CAS week trip by building a usable road for an underprivileged school.

1. How did I become more aware of my own strengths and areas for growth?

I believe that through the activities, I am able to be understand the community around me and through communication with the elderly people, I believe I am quite good at interaction and communicating with others. Through this, I believe I am more sensitive to the world around me.

2. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

I believe that the service itself is not too challenging. I believe sometimes, the challenging part of the service was actually talking to the elderly, as some of them may have trouble hearing and understanding what you say to them. Also, there was a bit of a language barrier as they spoke mainly cantonese and I did not speak cantonese too well. However, I was able to overcome this by trying my best to use my language skills to communicate with them.

3. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

I organised something that involves me teaching underprivileged children english. The children are often from poor backgrounds, and teaching english would greatly benefit them and the wider community. I organised this by sending out an email to the organization saying that I was interested in teaching the kids, and got in contact with their mentor.

4. How did you persevere in action?

I aim to continue doing the service that I do in the future for years to come, and wish to help the community continuously. For my action, during my CAS trip I had to do manual labour and helped lay down cement and build a sustainable pathway from scratch. Due to this, I am able to see the full process of road building and just how difficult it is.

5. How did you work collaboratively with others?

I think that I had to collaborate with others on many occasions. First off, for the outside of school community work such as the elderly home visit and teaching the children english, I had to use different languages in order to communicate with them and cooperate and coordinate how I was going to do the service, including dates, content teached, where I am supposed to teach, etc. For the CAS trip, we had to work as a big group to see what tasks needed extra help on, or what could be done so that we were all of use.

6. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

I think that through teaching the children especially, I am able to see the different backgrounds different people come from, and it is really striking to me. I realise that I am very privileged, and should give back to others. I think that through teaching children, I am able to connect with them as people and able to relate to them. However, there were some linguistic challenges that were encountered with the children, as some were not proficient in any language I spoke, so rather than speaking to them, I would rather show actions, act out certain words and that way, the understood the meaning.

7. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

Overall, I think that what I did has helped out the children by making their lives and education journey easier. I think that ethically, it is respectable and I did not really do this service to look good, I just liked to give a helping hand to those in need. Hopefully, my actions have a positive implication on other’s lives and I wish to keep doing what I do in the near future.