Iqbal Masih

by Sam Kaiser on January 25, 2011

For the past few weeks, my class has been reading a fictional recount of Iqbal Masih’s life. This book tells the story of Fatima, a young girl forced into slavery, along with thousands of Pakistani children whose parents owe debts to carpet masters and brick makers. We read this book to understand more about child heroes and children who aren’t as fortunate as us. This book made me feel depressed because so many people in the world were slaves, even just 20 years ago.The most important thing I’ve learnt, is that anyone in the world can amount to something, it just depends what you do with your life. In the story there was a lot about carpet factories, but almost nothing about brick kilns. So, I would like to learn more about brick kilns. If i were to read this book again, I would just read it alone, so I would be able to get through it faster.

We just finished the book, and at the end it’s really, really sad, because Iqbal is shot and killed. No one knows who murdered him, but his associate, Eshan Khan, announced that it was the Carpet Mafia who killed him. I think it’s unfair for a child of so much hope, to be murdered on one of the Christian holidays, Easter Sunday. He was only 13 years old.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

wa al November 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This is certainly amazing. First watch this sort of gratification and we are bowled over. We are precisely attracted to this sort of facts. Folk appreciate the marketing placed, and treasure your precious time inside this. Please keep modifying. These are hugely important certainly information elegance that will give your reunion an incredibly rid statistics.

Reply

Jensen April 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

Great article, it is excellent to hear your personal connection with Iqbal’s story. He really was an amazing young boy who would have gone on to do amazing things. Even in his few years he accomplished so much and should be an inspiration to us.

Iqbal is currently featured as hero of the week over at MoralHeroes.org
You might be interested to read about him at http://moralheroes.org/iqbal-masih

Reply

Ms. Cahusac February 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm

DJ 11,

Good reflection on the book IQBAL. I am glad that you enjoyed it and feel like it helped your learning and developing understanding in this Unit of Inquiry. This post shows me that you know how to write a real reflection. You’re a great role model for other students to learn from. Good job.

Keep up the great writing! Your entire blog looks fantastic and it’s obvious that you enjoy blogging, which makes me happy. Your posts are really good and fun to read!

- Dancing DJ

Reply