CAS: Global Issue Engagement/CAS Project

by Yi Nok Ryan on November 3, 2017

The global issue I will engage with is poverty, wealth and power globalisation; specifically, I will be looking at community-based projects on poverty. I am currently at the planning stage out of the 5 stages (investigation, planning, action, reflection, demonstration and celebration).

This is the service project which I plan on joining:

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.30.27 am

In English (some of it may be “directly translated”), it says:
Caring for the Poor Small Group – Sending Warmth/Love
The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor. (Proverbs 22:9)
Targeted people to serve: People in need within the district/area, including street sleepers (i.e. the homeless) and scavenging elders (i.e. elders which earn a living by collecting scraps of material to sell)
Content/Activities: Share/distribute food, materials (ex. heat packs in winter) and individual care/love, etc.
February to March Plan of Action: Make food boxes at 7:45 every Friday night, then go out to the surrounding area at 8:15.
We ask our brothers and sisters to regularly participate at least once a month, (personally volunteer?), and ask for other brothers and sisters to join.

After identifying the (CAS) project, which meets the CAS criteria (i.e. relevance to global issue), I moved on to the next step: planning. First, I identified the purpose and goal of this project. The purpose of this project is to help those in need (i.e. those categorised as in poverty); the end goal be more aware of poverty in Hong Kong by gaining a deeper, first-hand understanding of it.

Secondly, I had to identify the presence of collaboration and teamwork. The collaboration will be between the members of the project group, and to a lesser extent the other two CDNIS students who will participate in the same project (Roger and Jonathan L.). This teamwork will most likely be in the form of communication, for example perhaps the identification of the current strengths and weaknesses of the project, thus identifying possible improvements to the project.

Third, I had to evidence that there was a genuine need for this project. And indeed, there is. Those living in poverty do not make enough money to eat healthy (i.e. proper food, or having 3 meals every day), and thus the project was created to help these people.

Fourth, I had to identify that the level of participation in the project was suitable for that of a CAS Project. Ultimately, I believe that the level of participation is sufficient for us: we are participating in the project (which is one of the several ways of evidencing Action in the CAS Stages), and there is an opportunity to collaborate and modify the structure of the project (ex. expansion of the project’s reach), which would be a higher level of Action.

Fifth, I had to identify the potential risk to students. In the end, I concluded that the project itself contained no risks. However, there are some risks based on the timing of the project; the project itself usually ends at 11, which means there is a possible risk of encountering dangerous individuals on the way home. However, Hong Kong is a relatively safe city, so I still believe the risk is not large enough to “call off” the planned Project.

Lastly, I had to thoroughly identify the benefits for all those involved in the project. For the targeted members of the community the project was trying to help, they will receive aid from the church and the project members. For the project group itself, the addition of three (student) members will greatly aid them in their efficiency and reach. And most important of all, the students will benefit by gaining a deeper understanding of poverty in Hong Kong.

—————————————————————-
Edit (Written Post-Project):

I have already undergone the CAS Project, which shows Stage 3: Action. I implemented the plan I had along with two other students: Roger and Jonathan. Here are some pictures from our Project (we were not allowed to take photos during the actual service to respect the privacy of the poor and homeless):

The reflection stage will be distributed across seven different posts (for each learning outcome), and will not be included here.

The last stage, demonstration and celebration, is essentially the sharing of our CAS Project. This post exemplifies this stage – the creation of an iFolio post to document what I did.

{ 0 comments… add one now }