This is my final heart valve prototype. The way it functions is that water can only go through this end of the prototype and out this section, labelled ‘atrium’ and ‘ventricle’ respectively. There are small downwards slits cut into the fingers of each glove that permit the water to go through. When the prototype is rotated, the water cannot go back from the ventricle into the atrium, as the string that I taped to the fingers of the glove pulls the fingers to the edge, and doesn’t let it move, and also because the cuts were extremely minuscule and there wasn’t a guide that directed the water into the slits.
I changed and added many components to my final prototype design, for example the information panel and the various labels and markings you can see here. I decided to add an information panel because when I looked back on my design specifications to make sure that my prototype fit these requirements, I saw that one thing I was missing was information about the actual heart. So, I decided to add a small panel with an illustration of a heart valve that I drew to inform my target audience, the seventh graders about the heart valve. This was extremely useful to them, as they gathered much of their information from the panel’s explanations. Also, I added extra labels onto the actual prototype to add to the and accuracy of the model. One thing that I would improve on if I were to create this prototype again is that I would use hot glue to seal the edges of the information panel better so that water wouldn’t seep through and cause the black cardboard to bleed over the paper.