I think overall I was quite successful at having melodic and rhythmic balance between phrases because I used varied phrases, but also made sure I had some repetition/imitation so they would be more connected. I was also able to connect section A and section B by repeating some of the rhythmic phrases, and using the same melodic contour. I’ve added many performance directions such as slurs, staccatos, dynamics and tempo markings. However, I could have improved the transitions between the sections because sometimes it sounded quite sudden.
After receiving comments on my ternary draft composition, I made changes to mainly section B. A few people said that the draft section B didn’t sound connected to section A, and suggested that I try the relative minor key instead of the dominant key. Thus, I changed my section B to be the relative minor of the section A key, and also made sure I repeated some of the rhythmic and melodic phrases more so it would be more memorable.
To further improve my piece, I think I could make the melody more engaging because I feel as though sometimes the phrases were too similar. For example, maybe I could have varied the second section A more so it wouldn’t sound so similar. I also need to work on my transitions between the two sections, especially the first transition between A to B. I wasn’t too proud of this transition as it didn’t flow very well. I could try to transition with more chord tones next time. I also realized that some of the chords didn’t sound too well with the melody, so I should have been more careful with the chords I was choosing to go with the main melody.
I learned many new concepts this unit, such as passing tones, neighboring tones, and also became much more familiar with the chords and cadences. This will be very useful for me in the future while composing other pieces of music (such as how similar concepts were applied in the composition of the jazz solo). By becoming more familiar with chords and cadences, I will also be better with theory and understanding how other pieces of music are written. Writing the piano accompaniment also allowed me to know more about different instruments can be played together in the same piece of music, and how their individual melodies can enhance others.
At the beginning of the unit, I had a lot of trouble starting the composition of the melody because I didn’t really know how the chords could fit together to create a melody that was musically engaging. However, after developing my melody more and more (through the 8 bar melody), I’ve become a lot more comfortable with composition and also found the process easier as I had more phrases to develop my melody off of.
I think keeping track of my progress with the use of my PJ was useful because it allowed me to keep track of things that I was successful at and also possible improvements. For example, while developing my ternary composition, I was able to refer back to the comments I received for the 8 bar melody and use those as ways of improving my composition.