Introduction to Natural Sciences

In class, we touched on the agreement which Natural Sciences is the knowledge and search for understanding. However a question of what sort of understanding does Natural Sciences search for can be asked, and in my assumption to agree with this statement, I believe that the understanding is the search for how the world works. Hence, when we explore natural sciences, we explore phenomena’s that occur in the tangible world, and find explanations for why something happens or occurs. In a more theoretical level of physics, I believe this is still applicable even though the concepts become less “tangible.” For example, we explored the concept of the dark matter theory, where dark matter is something that we cannot observe, but occupies real space in the natural world. Thus, we are still searching for the understanding of how dark matter contributes to the natural world.

To explore the historical development of natural sciences, I believe the TED talk can be used very well in a sense where it explains how one trusts sciences. I fully agree with the video, where in science, we operate under certain assumptions and beliefs in basic theories. Hence from those theories and assumptions, we are able to craft concepts and questions which answer how the natural world functions.

I believe this is linked to individuals such as myself as human nature in general try to find patterns and structure within chaos. Hence, within this chaotic world, we use natural sciences to explain why actions or reactions make sense. Tying this with historical development, I believe humans started asking very basic and fundamental questions in how the world works. For example, why does a ball move and stop after a while. These minor questions would have theories which would work in all cases for where friction stops the ball from moving. However with these small developments, we start to be able to have more “tools” to handle and solve larger problems for example, why does a ball continuously fall on an incline plane instead of being stopped by friction? Eventually, we developed enough “tools” or scientific studies to answer theoretical questions that are harder to test or we are unable to test with the technology we have. However, with time humans will develop those tools to back up the concepts, and hence we will continue to ask larger questions until we are able to find a unified concept that ties all theories together.