Over the past month, I have been working towards the creation of a heart valve model for Science and Design, using simple materials to represent the complex concept of the one-way flow of a heart valve.
To see my video with my demonstration and explanation, as well as changes made to the plan and design, please see the video below.
As mentioned in the video, quite a few changes were made to my design, as well as to my plan.
For my design, there was the addition of the decorative red veins drawn onto the exterior of the model with a red sharpie. This was done to make the model look more visually and aesthetically appealing, as well as draw in the Grade 7 students when the time comes to test our models with them. This also added interest to the model, as it allows it to look more intriguing compared to if it was left blank.
Another change made to my design was the addition of duct tape along the bottom of the model. This was due to the fact that after cutting the bottle, I realised that the edges were rather sharp, and could potentially be dangerous. Because of this, I decided to stick duct tape and fold it up onto the inside of the model, which would create a smoother base without the jagged edges from the X-acto knife.
The direction of the water bottle in which the main part of the model was placed was flipped, which was because I found that the model would be able to be more freestanding this way, and it would facilitate with the pouring of the water into the model, as there is a clear hole in the tube presented.
Finally, I added a board to serve as the base of the model, which included cut out paper of information on heart valves, and a diagram showing the heart and specifically the heart valves. There were also two rectangles of the board that were cut out to place the water bottle on, serving as support. This made the model look more presentable, while providing information to the Grade 7 students at the same time.
As for the plan, one of the changes that I made was due to the additional tasks that were added on over time. Because of this, the overall time that was spent on creating the final product increased, meaning that some things had to be completed later than what was originally set out.
Furthermore, I did not refer back to the plan as often as I would have liked to, and merely looked at it only when I was initially making it. This meant that I was doing things as I wanted to, and tasks were completed according to where I was at the time. Another factor was the amount of time we were given in class and how effectively I used that time, as I rarely took my model home, and this would contribute to the distribution of time within the various tasks.
Physical Activity #fitness:
Take part in a physical activity once per week.
Cook at least 2 meals per week consisting of good quality protein, green vegetables, starchy veg or healthy grain.
Bring a lunch to school at least twice/week consisting of good quality protein, green veg (think leftovers from dinner).
Drink herbal tea and read a book/magazine 30-60 minutes before bed.