Grade 8 Drama

And there goes the half-year of Drama class. Through the classes, I’ve learned quite a few things and had to opportunity to “explore” myself more.

From my two half-years in Grade 7 and 8 of Drama, I’ve found out that it’s pretty hard for me to go from being myself to someone else. I tend to act like myself or not be able to show the gestures, emotions, and voices of certain characters that I’m meant to play. Even so, I think that it was a great experience for me because I really enjoyed creating a performance and presenting it to an audience, “changing” into someone else.

I quite like Drama class because it allows me to open myself up, get up in front of others and just perform. I’m an extremely shy person, so before I performed I always got really nervous, but performing numerous times throughout the year helped to slightly tame those feelings. Drama class also allows me to get the opportunity to work with pretty much every single person in my class. Normally, in other classes, most of the work is individual and we tend to choose to work with our friends when we get the chance. With Drama, choosing groups is more based on who we haven’t worked with yet or who we want to get the chance to work with. Working with different people helps to combine all the benefits of the group to create one unique performance, while using communicating and cooperating skills as well.

Although I believe that everything I’ve done in Drama class has been interesting and great, I have come to the conclusion that maybe Drama isn’t right for me. I might audition for musicals (which contain less of an acting aspect depending on the role) or have other acting opportunities later on, but I’ve decided not to take Drama next year, and probably never will after. My experiences have been great, but.. so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen goodbye :)