Waste Not, Want Not II

In my previous post, you can see that I created a package for an apple in a group.

Shortly after that, we created a design for it using the application SketchUp. I found it hard to use SketchUp to create the design, as there are so many functions needed to be used to create just one part. There aren’t any specific shapes (2D and 3D) that can be created (excluding a rectangle and a circle), so it is required to think out of the box to get the kind of appearance/shape you want.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think that our understanding of geometry can definitely help us reduce our carbon footprint. I think this way because if you have a better understanding of geometry, then you can create a more effective net that uses less materials and does not waste as much space. Many packaging containers of products have a lot of extra leftover space, so if we could minimise that, it would make a difference to the environment.

Waste Not, Want Not

Today is Design Day, which marks the start of another Design unit. Yay?

One of our tasks was to create a package with a sheet of A4 paper for a certain fruit – an apple or a banana. We worked in a group, and we chose to make a package for an apple, as the shape seemed easier to work with. Certain stationery items were available for our use, like scissors, tape and markers. We had 20 minutes to do it, and this is what we did:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We had specific criteria for this task. The package should be:

– easy to open (referring to our package, it is fairly easy to open, since the flap is obvious and it can be flipped up easily)

– secure (it is not completely secure, as we did not remember to tape the lid onto the box, so once someone lifts it up by the handle, the box would tip and the apple would fall out)

– contents should be obvious (the contents of the box were pretty obvious, as we wrote the word “Apple” on the side of the box)

– ergonomic (the box is not entirely ergonomic. If it isn’t held by the handle, it is easy to hold and can be handled easily. When held by the handle, the box would tip and the weight would not be distributed properly, as mentioned above)

– protective (since we had to use A4 paper, it wouldn’t be protective enough, but we covered the whole thing in masking tape so that it would be more sturdy)

– appropriate size (the box is an appropriate size, as it leaves enough space around the apple and fits the apple well)

– attractive (personally, I do not believe that the box is attractive, as the masking tape leaves parts sticking out, and it could be neater)

– light (it is fairly light, as there is no extra weight, since the box is made out of paper and tape)

– durable (as mentioned above, it is not fully durable, due to the fact that the box is made out of paper)

16 Bar Melody – Reflections

February 27

I started my song today, since I was absent during the previous class when it was supposed to be started. I decided on the chord progression (i.e. the different chords) for the piano that I would use for each bar, and once I chose the chords, I played them back to myself in Finale so that I knew what it sounded like, and made adjustments that were needed. Once the chords were done, I started to write the melody part for the flute. I incorporated a lot of triplets into the melody, because I think that they give a balance to the piece and sound nice on the flute. I tried to include as many different note values as I could as I was writing the piece, so that there was a good variety. As for the notes, I made sure that it matched the chords and that it didn’t sound dissonant together. I tried to make sure that you could tell that there were four-bar phrases, by incorporating some similarities into the different phrases. I have not completed the melody yet, but so far it has been making progress.

 

March 2

I finished the melody of the flute and started to work on the accompaniment of the piano. However, while doing the accompaniment I realised that two bars that were next to each other had the same chord, so I had to change a few bars to get it right. Looking back at the accompaniment, I noticed that I used a lot of harmony and raised or lowered the melody by a third many times. I tried to variate the note values of the accompaniment so that it wasn’t always exactly the same as the melody, but I now realise that about half of it is the same rhythm as the melody. Even though this is the case, I don’t think that it affects the overall composition too much, as it is still able to make it sound like a complete melody with accompaniment. Because it was the accompaniment and not a second melody, I tried to make the piano accompaniment sound more like a background, so that it did not overpower the flute melody. After the whole melody was completed, I added dynamics and articulation markings into the piece, so that there would be more depth to it and it would sound even more complete.

I changed the melody a bit by adding a grace note at the end of it. By doing this, it is able to add some decoration and flourish to give it something similar to a ‘grand finale’, as I also added a trill to one of the notes in the last bar.

The decisions I made on the melody and rhythm were mostly based on what I heard in my mind, according to what the chord was and what the previous bars were, as I created some sequences. I kept the dynamics to mp and mf, but raised it to f when the melody was coming to an end, to create some sort of climax towards the end. I also added crescendos and diminuendos when appropriate to make the phrases sound more full and lively.

Overall, I feel like the melody and accompaniment sounds pretty good, but there are definitely some improvements that could be made to make it sound even better, as it doesn’t sound the best.

 

You can listen to it below:

And see the score below:

Charlotte’s 16 Bar Melody